How Does Viscosity Affect Motion in a Fluid?

In summary, the person is trying to find the solution for v as a function of time, but they are unsure of what to do with the three constants.
dykuma

Homework Statement

A mass M falls under gravity (force mg) through a liquid with decreasing viscosity so that the retarding force is -2mv/(1+t). If it starts from rest, what is the speed, acceleration, and distance fallen at time t=1.

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

F = 2mv/(1+t) - mg
F = m[- g + 2v/(1+t)]
ma = m[-g + 2v/(1+t)]
a = -g + 2v/(1+ t)

At this point, I see two paths to a solution, and I don't know which is correct.
I can let a=x'', v=x'
x'' - (2/(1+ t)) x' = -g
where the solution according to mathmatica is (I'm not sure how to solve this exactly, my guess is to use frobenius)
x =1/3 - C1 T^3 + 1/2(2 C1 + g) T^2 + g T + C1 T + C2

or I can let
a=v'
v' = -g + 2v/(1+ t)
v' - 2v/(1+ t)= -g
Where the solution would be
v = (1 + t) (C1 t + C1 + g) - Edit (I see this solution might be wrong, checking now)

I'm not sure which is the correct result, and I am concerned about the units on each,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
dykuma said:
a=v'
v' = -g + 2v/(1+ t)
I would prefer this.
But I think the equation should be
F=mg-2v/(1+t).
Negative sign of the retarding force indicates that it is directed opposite to the gravity.

cnh1995 said:
I would prefer this.
But I think the equation should be
F=mg-2v/(1+t).
Negative sign of the retarding force indicates that it is directed opposite to the gravity.
I see, I was thinking in terms of gravity pulling down, retarding force pushing up.

Okay, flipping the signs around I get the following:
a = g - 2v/(1+ t)
let a=v'
v' = g - 2v/(1+ t)
v' + 2v/(1+ t) = g
upload_2016-10-31_13-14-51.png

Does this look correct? And what should I do with this constant C?

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-31_13-14-21.png
    upload_2016-10-31_13-14-21.png
    648 bytes · Views: 384
dykuma said:
I see, I was thinking in terms of gravity pulling down, retarding force pushing up.
I think that won't make any difference as long as both the forces are directed opposite to each other.

dykuma said:
v' + 2v/(1+ t) = g
I believe this could be solved using the integrating factor method.
If dy/dx+Py=Q, the integrating factor I=e∫Pdx. Look up this method.

cnh1995 said:
I believe this could be solved using the integrating factor method.
If dy/dx+Py=Q, the integrating factor I=e∫Pdx. Look up this method.
I did that, and I got a solution that matched the more complicated case of us x''=a, x'=v.
upload_2016-10-31_13-42-14.png

The problem now Is that I am unsure of what to do with those constants.

dykuma said:
I did that, and I got a solution that matched the more complicated case of us x''=a, x'=v.
View attachment 108277

The problem now Is that I am unsure of what to do with those constants.
First find the solution for v as a function of time. Here, you will have only one constant. Use the initial condition i.e. v=0 at t=0 to get this constant. So you'll have a complete v vs t relationship. Now differentiate it w.r.t time and put t=1 to get the acceleration at t=1 and integrate v(t) w.r.t time from t=0 to t=1 to get the displacement. I don't think you need three constants for this.

cnh1995 said:
First find the solution for v as a function of time. Here, you will have only one constant. Use the initial condition i.e. v=0 at t=0 to get this constant. So you'll have a complete v vs t relationship. Now differentiate it w.r.t time and put t=1 to get the acceleration at t=1 and integrate v(t) w.r.t time from t=0 to t=1 to get the displacement. I don't think you need three constants for this.

Oh my god, I'm such and Idiot. I don't know why I didn't see that before!

Thanks!

1. What is motion in retarding force?

Motion in retarding force refers to the movement of an object that is being slowed down or resisted by an opposing force. This force can come from various sources such as friction, air resistance, or drag.

2. How does retarding force affect motion?

Retarding force works against the motion of an object, causing it to slow down or eventually come to a stop. The amount of retarding force present will determine the rate at which the object's motion is affected.

3. What are some examples of retarding force?

Some common examples of retarding force include the friction between a car's tires and the road, air resistance acting on a parachute, and drag force acting on a swimmer in water.

4. How do you calculate retarding force?

The formula for calculating retarding force is F = μN, where F is the retarding force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force acting on the object. Other factors such as the object's velocity and surface area may also affect the retarding force.

5. How can retarding force be reduced?

Retarding force can be reduced by minimizing the factors that contribute to it. For example, using a lubricant to reduce friction between two surfaces, streamlining the shape of an object to reduce air resistance, or using materials with lower coefficients of friction can all help to decrease the retarding force acting on an object.