Motion in Two Dimensions of marble

In summary, the problem involves a marble rolling horizontally off a platform and landing in a hole on the ground. The height of the platform is 2.75 m and the distance from the base of the platform to the hole is 2.00 m. The hole has a width of 1.50 m. The goal is to determine the range of speeds v0 at which the marble can land in the hole. The equations for projectile motion are used for this problem. The initial velocity v0 is unknown, so it is represented as an unknown variable. Using the kinematics equations and the distance of the platform, the time it takes for the marble to fall can be calculated. This time value is then used to find the horizontal velocity
iwonde
A small marble rolls horizontally with speed v0 off the top of a platform 2.75 m tall and feels no appreciable air resistance. On the level ground 2.00 m from the base of the platform, there is a gaping hole in the ground. The hole is 1.50 m wide. For what range of marble speeds v0 will the marble land in the hole.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe draw a diagram and label the information you know at certain points. What equations do you know that have to do with projectile motion? Explain where you are stuck with this problem. You must show some work, we won't do it for you.

marble.jpg

I'm thinking of finding the final velocity, or is that zero?

Use the energy concepts (conservation law) in order to obtain the speed at the bottom, and then work it out from there.

I haven't learned that yet. I'm supposed use the kinematics equations for this problem.

iwonde said:
I haven't learned that yet. I'm supposed use the kinematics equations for this problem.

You can still work it out. You know the marble must fall on 2.75 meters, so it can be inside the hole. Use v(0) as an unknown and work out the equations, probably since you know the distance, you could calculate the time it the marble takes and then find the value of v(0).

This is what I calculated:

Formula used: y(t) = y_0 + (v_0y)t + (1/2)(a_y)t^2
0 = 2.75 + 0 - (1/2)(9.8)t^2
t = 0.75s

Then, I plugged time into the equation x(t) = x_0 + (v_0x)t
2 = 0 + (v_0x)(0.7)
v_0x = 2.86m/s

I don't think my answers are reasonable though. Plus, I'm not sure of how to find v_0y.

1. What is motion in two dimensions of marble?

Motion in two dimensions of marble refers to the movement of a marble in two perpendicular directions, usually horizontal and vertical.

2. What factors affect the motion of a marble in two dimensions?

The motion of a marble in two dimensions can be affected by various factors such as the force applied, the mass and shape of the marble, and the surface it is rolling on.

3. How is the velocity of a marble in two dimensions calculated?

The velocity of a marble in two dimensions is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the time taken to travel that distance. It is a vector quantity and includes both magnitude and direction.

4. What is the difference between speed and velocity in two dimensions?

Speed in two dimensions refers to the rate at which the marble is moving, while velocity takes into account both the speed and direction of the marble's motion.

5. Can a marble's motion in two dimensions be affected by external forces?

Yes, a marble's motion in two dimensions can be affected by external forces such as friction, air resistance, and gravity. These forces can alter the speed and direction of the marble's motion.