Motion in Two Dimensions Question

In summary, two thin rods are attached to a circular ring and have two small beads that can slide without friction. When released from rest at the same time, both beads will reach the bottom at the same time. This can be proven mathematically by equating the equations for the red and blue ball's distance and acceleration, or by solving for time in each equation and showing they are equal.
tacutamon

Homework Statement

Two thin rods are fastened to the inside of a circular ring as shown in the figure below. One rod of length D is vertical, and the other of length L makes an angle θ with the horizontal. The two rods and the ring lie in a vertical plane. Two small beads are free to slide without friction along the rods.

2-p-069.gif

If the two beads are released from rest simultaneously from the positions shown, use your intuition and guess which bead reaches the bottom first.

Homework Equations

Equations for Red Ball:
(1) D = .5*g*t[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Equations for Blue Ball:
(2) a[itex]_{b}[/itex] = g*sin(θ)

(3) L = .5*a[itex]_{b}[/itex]*t[itex]^{2}[/itex]

(4) L = D*sin(θ)

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer is that they will hit the ground at the same time. I am still curious in how I would explain this mathematically, rather than intuitively as the question states. I believe I have all the necessary equations to do so, but I am not sure how to compare them to show this. Would I show that subbing in equation 4 and 2 into equation 3 would give me equation 1?

Thanks so much for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, tacutamon and welcome to PF!

tacutamon said:

Homework Equations

Equations for Red Ball:
(1) D = .5*g*t[itex]^{2}[/itex]

Equations for Blue Ball:
(2) a[itex]_{b}[/itex] = g*sin(θ)

(3) L = .5*a[itex]_{b}[/itex]*t[itex]^{2}[/itex]

(4) L = D*sin(θ)

Would I show that subbing in equation 4 and 2 into equation 3 would give me equation 1?

Yes, that would work. Or, you could solve (1) for the red ball's time and solve (3) for the blue ball's time and try to show the times are equal.

Thanks so much! That really clears up a lot.

1. What is motion in two dimensions?

Motion in two dimensions is the movement of an object in a specific direction and at a specific speed in a two-dimensional space. This means that the object is moving in both the x and y directions simultaneously.

2. What is the difference between motion in one dimension and motion in two dimensions?

Motion in one dimension only takes into account movement along a single axis, such as back and forth or up and down. Motion in two dimensions includes both horizontal and vertical movement, making it more complex.

3. How is motion in two dimensions represented mathematically?

Motion in two dimensions is represented using vector quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration, which have both magnitude and direction. These quantities are typically represented using arrows or coordinates on a graph.

4. What are some real-life examples of motion in two dimensions?

Some examples of motion in two dimensions include a ball being thrown in the air, a car driving along a curved road, or a plane taking off and landing. Any movement that involves both horizontal and vertical components can be considered motion in two dimensions.

5. How does air resistance affect motion in two dimensions?

Air resistance, or drag, can affect motion in two dimensions by slowing down an object's horizontal and vertical velocities. This can cause a curved path of motion, as seen in activities such as skydiving or throwing a frisbee. Air resistance can also impact the amount of time an object spends in the air.