1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion in Two Dimensions

1. May 8, 2015 #1
    Question:
    In an anniversary celebration of Marilyn Bell's 1954 feat- she was the first person to swim across Lake Ontario- a swimmer set out from the shores of New York and maintained a velocity of 4m/s (N). As the swimmer approached the Ontario shore, she encountered a cross-current of 2 m/s (E 25 degrees S) - 25 degrees South of East. Calculate her velocity with respect to the crowd observing from the beach (with respect to the ground).

My Attempt at a Solution:

First I drew a triangle. 4m/s (N) is the left side of the triangle. 2m/s (E 25 degrees S) is the top of the triangle. And the right side is the side that I think that I am solving for.

Next I divided the triangle into two right angled triangles.

Solving for the top triangle:

sin=Opposite/Hypotenuse
    =2sin(65)
    =1.81 m/s

cos=Adjacent/Hypotenuse
    =2cos(65)
    =0.845 m/s
    =0.85m/s

To solve for the bottom triangle:

4m/s - 0.85m/s = 3.15m/s

Use Pythagorean theorem to solve for the unknown side:

3.15^2 + 1.81^2
    =3.63m/s

Calculate the direction of the velocity:

tan=ay/ax
    tan=1.81/3.15
    =29.88
    =30 degrees

Therefore her velocity, with respect to the crowd observing from the beach is 3.63m/s (N 30 degrees E)

Could someone please let me know if my calculations are correct? I would appreciate the help. :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2
    Looks right to me.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted