Motion - Missile Projectile

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a homework problem involving a missile's velocity and acceleration. The student provides a link to their attempted solutions and requests that the thread be deleted to prevent others from using their answers. The response explains that it is against forum rules to delete threads and suggests the student can disguise their questions to prevent others from using their answers. The conversation ends with the student thanking the responder for their help.
elgato11
Hi,

not sure if I am posting in the correct area but I need some help looking over a piece of homework.

The question is in the image I have linked below but I will type out the question anyway.

A missile leaves the ground with a velocity of 200ms-1 at an angle of 60° to the horizontal. Assume the acceleration due to gravity is 10ms-2.

Questions

a) The initial vertical component of the velocity
b) The initial horizontal component of the velocity
c) The Time taken to reach maximum height
d) The total time of the flight
e) The altitude obtained
f) The horizontal distance traveled during the flight.

Link to my attempt at solutions ---------------- http://tinypic.com/r/2igbn2u/6any help would be appreciated thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
elgato11 said:
Hi,

not sure if I am posting in the correct area but I need some help looking over a piece of homework.

The question is in the image I have linked below but I will type out the question anyway.

A missile leaves the ground with a velocity of 200ms-1 at an angle of 60° to the horizontal. Assume the acceleration due to gravity is 10ms-2.

Questions

a) The initial vertical component of the velocity
b) The initial horizontal component of the velocity
c) The Time taken to reach maximum height
d) The total time of the flight
e) The altitude obtained
f) The horizontal distance traveled during the flight.

Link to my attempt at solutions ---------------- http://tinypic.com/r/2igbn2u/6

any help would be appreciated thank you.

Your results look fine.

Thanks for the help in checking over my answers. could I ask that this thread be deleted to prevent my fellow classmates using my answers to turn in their work.

elgato11 said:
Thanks for the help in checking over my answers. could I ask that this thread be deleted to prevent my fellow classmates using my answers to turn in their work.

Can't do that; It's against forum rules to delete threads once they've been responded to. One purpose of the forum is to serve as a database of hints, help, strategy and methods for others to consult.

If you want to disguise the questions that you post, you can concoct similar questions from the originals and work though them on the forum to check/prove your methodology.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your homework. I am happy to help you understand the concepts of motion and projectile motion.

To solve this problem, we will use the basic equations of motion and projectile motion. The initial velocity can be broken down into its vertical and horizontal components. The vertical component can be calculated using the equation Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final vertical velocity, Vi is the initial vertical velocity, a is acceleration due to gravity (in this case, -10ms-2), and t is time. Since the missile is starting at rest, the initial vertical velocity would be 0ms-1. Therefore, the initial vertical component of the velocity is 0ms-1.

Similarly, the horizontal component of the velocity can be calculated using the equation d = Vit + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance traveled, Vi is the initial horizontal velocity, a is acceleration due to gravity (in this case, 0ms-2), and t is time. Since the missile is starting at rest, the initial horizontal velocity would also be 0ms-1. Therefore, the initial horizontal component of the velocity is also 0ms-1.

To calculate the time taken to reach maximum height, we can use the equation Vf = Vi + at, where Vf is the final vertical velocity, Vi is the initial vertical velocity, a is acceleration due to gravity (in this case, -10ms-2), and t is time. At maximum height, the final vertical velocity would be 0ms-1. Plugging in the values, we get 0 = 0 + (-10)t. Solving for t, we get t = 0 seconds. This means that the missile reaches maximum height instantly.

To calculate the total time of flight, we can use the equation t = 2Vi/g, where t is the total time of flight, Vi is the initial vertical velocity, and g is acceleration due to gravity (in this case, 10ms-2). Plugging in the values, we get t = 2(200sin60)/10 = 4 seconds.

The altitude obtained can be calculated using the equation d = Vit + 1/2at^2, where d is the distance traveled, Vi is the initial vertical velocity, a is acceleration due to gravity (in this case, -10ms-2), and t is time

What is motion?

Motion is the change in position of an object over time.

What is a missile projectile?

A missile projectile is an object that is launched or thrown with a specified velocity, angle, and initial position, and follows a parabolic trajectory due to the forces of gravity and air resistance.

What factors affect the trajectory of a missile projectile?

The trajectory of a missile projectile is affected by its initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

How is the trajectory of a missile projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a missile projectile can be calculated using mathematical equations, such as the projectile motion equations, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. Advanced simulations and computer programs can also be used to calculate the trajectory.

What are the applications of studying motion and missile projectiles?

Studying motion and missile projectiles has many practical applications, including in the design and operation of missiles and other projectiles, understanding the flight of objects in sports such as baseball or golf, and in predicting the paths of celestial objects such as comets and asteroids. It also has important military and defense applications, such as in the development of missile defense systems.