Need Mathematica for Understanding Motion Mountain Textbook?

In summary, the person is having trouble understanding concepts in an online physics textbook due to a lack of access to Mathematica software. They are considering buying the software or finding alternative ways to access it. Suggestions include checking for a student version or finding a university with access to the software, and skipping ahead in the textbook. It is also noted that Mathematica has a free reader for viewing notebooks and that Acrobat Reader should suffice for viewing PDF files.
Grover
I don't know if anyone knows about this set of online physics textbook, but I downloaded this 12MB PDF onto my computer. I tried to understand the concepts of states, objects, sequence, duration, and time that it mentioned in the very first chapter. However, when it tried to explain these important things to me, a strange software called mathematica was said to be used to create certain pictures and patterns that were supposed to help make those concepts clear. The problem is I don't have such software! I am forced to stop further reading that textbook. Anyone has any idea how to overcome this? Buy that software?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a small chance that Mathematica has a cheaper student version you could buy. Otherwise you could buy a whole bunch of physics books for the price of Mathematica!

Another possibility is that a nearby university has Mathematica available on its machines, let's the public use them and let's the public download 12MB files from outsiders. You might also try skipping ahead a bit since sometimes the first chapter tries to attract the reader with advanced stuff that is not the focus of the book. You might acceleration, force and momentum more understandable.

mathematica has a free reader that you can dl to view notebooks. but if the book is in PDF format you should only need acrobat reader.

JMD

1. How can Mathematica help me understand the Motion Mountain textbook?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software that can be used to visualize and analyze mathematical concepts, making it a valuable tool for understanding the complex concepts presented in the Motion Mountain textbook. It can generate interactive graphics and simulations, perform complex calculations, and assist with problem-solving, all of which can aid in comprehending the material.

2. Do I need prior experience with Mathematica to use it with the Motion Mountain textbook?

No, prior experience with Mathematica is not necessary. While some familiarity with the software may be helpful, the Motion Mountain textbook provides step-by-step instructions and examples for using Mathematica to understand the concepts presented.

3. Can Mathematica be used with any edition of the Motion Mountain textbook?

Yes, Mathematica can be used with any edition of the Motion Mountain textbook. The software is compatible with a wide range of mathematical concepts and can be applied to various versions of the textbook.

4. Are there any resources available to help me learn how to use Mathematica for understanding the Motion Mountain textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources available, such as tutorials and user guides, that can help you learn how to use Mathematica for understanding the Motion Mountain textbook. You can also consult with your peers or instructors for assistance in using the software.

5. Can I use Mathematica to solve problems and exercises in the Motion Mountain textbook?

Yes, you can use Mathematica to solve problems and exercises in the Motion Mountain textbook. The software can perform calculations and provide visualizations that can aid in problem-solving, making it a useful tool for completing exercises in the textbook.