Motion of a Boat: Calculating Mass, Distance & Retarding Force

In summary: No, it's not v you invert. It's 1/v. You invert both sides of the equation so you have:v=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{3}+\beta t}Then you can take the derivative with respect to t.You can take the derivative of v with respect to t.You used the power rule for x^2 or x^3 before, right? You can use the same rule. Just use the power rule for 1/x^2 or 1/x^3.so the derivative would be 1/1/3 + Bt^1That's not right. Remember that the derivative is the slope of the tangent line to the curve. So if you had
Punkyc7
A ferryboat of mass M1 = 2.0 x 10^5 kilograms moves toward a docking bumper of mass M
2 that is attached to a shock absorber. Shown below is a speed v vs. time t graph of the ferryboat from the time it cuts off its engines to the time it first comes to rest after colliding with the bumper. At the instant it hits the bumper, t = 0 and v = 3 meters per second.
a.After colliding inelastically with the bumper, the ferryboat and bumper move together with an initial speed of 2 meters per second. Calculate the mass of the bumper M2

.b.After colliding, the ferryboat and bumper move with a speed given by the expression v = 2e^-4t
. Although the boat never comes precisely to rest, it travels only a finite distance.Calculate that distance.

c.While the ferryboat was being slowed by water resistance before hitting the bumper, its speedwas given by 1/v = 1/3 +βt, whereβ is a constant. Find an expression for the retarding force of the water on the boat as a function of speed.

Homework Equations

1/v = 1/3 +βt
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Im stuck at part C
Im thinking that β would be mu so i get F= 1*10^5((3t-vt/3v)

Physics news on Phys.org
So you're given a relationship between velocity and a "retarding force". All forces in Newtonian mechanics can be thought of as accelerations since f=ma. So what you're really trying to find is the acceleration of the boat.

If you are given an expression for velocity, how would you find the acceleration?

v/t=a
im not given a time or a distance so how would i solve it?

Last edited:
In calculus based physics we would take the derivative of the velocity to find the acceleration. But it looks like you might be in algebra-based physics?

In that case, you have written down two equations for v:

[tex]v=at[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{v} = \frac{1}{3} + \beta t[/tex]

And you want an expression in terms of a. So using algebra, you can rearrange, substitute, and solve for a in terms of beta and t.

i think its B*t

So solving for a you get (3+Bt^3)/t

So its F= 1*10^5 * (3+Bt^3)/t

How would you get a derivative of 1/v = 1/3 +βt

Punkyc7 said:
i think its B*t

So its F= 1*10^5 * (3+Bt^3)/t

Hmm...

That's not what I get...Assuming you start from here...

[tex]\frac{1}{at}=\frac{1}{3}+\beta t[/tex]

You can check your answer by substituting what you got for a into the original equation for a (the equation above). You should get the two sides equal to each other if you have the right a, right?

a above equals v=at so v/t=a, if you pleg that in the equation you get the same thing as the beginning equation 1/v = 1/3 +βt

Punkyc7 said:

To check your answer, let: [tex]a= \frac{3 + \beta t^3}{3}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{t*\frac{3 + \beta t^3}{3}} = \frac{1}{3}+\beta t[/tex]

This simplifes (sort of) to:

[tex]\frac{3}{3t+\beta t^4}=\frac{1}{3}+\beta t[/tex]

Looking at the variable t, we are saying that t to the negative fourth power is roughly proportional to t to the first power. This is only true in very specific circumstances. It is not true generally. In other words, it's like saying that:

[tex]\frac{1}{x^4}=x[/tex]

While you can choose x=1 and it will be true, it's not true everywhere. This is the same kind of problem your solution is giving us.

Start from here:

And do the algebra again. Try inverting both sides of the equation (to get a in the numerator) and then isolating a by dividing by t...

Now I am really confused so is it a= 3/t +1/Bt^2

how woould you take the derivative of 1/v = 1/3 +βt i know how to do that with regular equation but not with fractions

Sorry if I'm confusing you. When I solve it, I get:

[tex]a=\frac{3}{t(1 + 3 \beta t)}[/tex]

To take the derivative of 1/v the easiest thing is to invert it so you can v in the numerator.

so if you invert it you get v=3 + Bt^-1 so how would you take the derivative of that I am use to seeing x or t and non negative exponets

so would it be a=3^-1+ Bt^-2

1. What is the equation for calculating the mass of a boat?

The equation for calculating the mass of a boat is mass = force / acceleration. This means that the mass of a boat can be found by dividing the force acting on the boat by its acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the distance a boat travels?

The distance a boat travels can be calculated using the equation distance = speed x time. This means that the distance can be found by multiplying the speed of the boat by the time it has been traveling for.

3. What is retarding force and how does it affect a boat's motion?

Retarding force is a force that acts in the opposite direction of the boat's motion, slowing it down. It can be caused by factors such as friction or air resistance. The amount of retarding force acting on a boat will determine how quickly it will slow down or come to a stop.

4. How does mass impact a boat's motion?

The mass of a boat affects its motion in two ways. First, a boat with a larger mass will require a greater force to accelerate or decelerate. Second, a boat with a larger mass will have a greater inertia, meaning it will be more resistant to changes in its motion.

5. Can the motion of a boat be affected by external factors?

Yes, the motion of a boat can be affected by external factors such as wind, currents, and waves. These factors can impact the boat's speed, direction, and stability, and must be taken into account when calculating its motion.