1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of a charged particle in a constant magnetic and oscillating electric field.

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    I can't figure out what is the motion of a charged particle at rest at origin in a constant uniform magnetic field when it is subjected to an oscillating electric field starting t = 0. I need to find the equations representing its motion.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2011 #2
    Re: Motion of a charged particle in a constant magnetic and oscillating electric fiel

Use the Lorentz force law[itex]\mathbf{F}=q(\mathbf{E}+\mathbf{v} \times \mathbf{B}) [/itex] where F is the force, q is the charge, E is the electric field and B is the magnetic field. Then, you substitute the resulting expression into Newton's Second Law, [itex]\mathbf{F}=m\mathbf{a}[/itex]. Then you just plug and chug and solve the resulting Diff. Eq. (You didn't specify the directions of the E and B fields, so I can't go any further. xP)

Hope that helps!

4. Oct 2, 2011 #3
    Re: Motion of a charged particle in a constant magnetic and oscillating electric fiel

E and B fields are perpendicular. I have to take into account the damping and resisting forces for the oscillatory motion. I need to find a solution analytically for the motion of the particle in that case. I managed to do it, but I am not sure if I did it right. If the B field is along y-axis and E along x, I found an oscillatory motion in xz plane. The damping factor brings it to rest as time goes to infinity.

5. Oct 2, 2011 #4

You should post the full details of the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook