Motion of a Proton in Electric and Magnetic Fields

In summary, the original post correctly calculates the energy in Joules to be 3.97 x 10^-14 J, but makes errors in converting to the correct units and calculating the speed and radius of the proton. The correct speed of the proton is approximately 6.9 x 10^20 m/s, and the correct radius is approximately 15.17 m. Further calculations may be necessary to ensure accurate results.
Variable_X
Homework Statement
A proton is accelerated through a voltage of 248 kV.

a) Calculate the energy of the proton in electron volt and in Joule.

b) Assuming that the mass of the proton remains the same as its rest mass, calculate the speed of the photon.

c)The proton is curved by a magnetic field of 1.5 Telsa. Calculate the radius of the curvature of its path.
Relevant Equations
N/A
a) 248*10^3 eV for 248kV

Calculate the energy in J

K=248*10^3*1.6*10^-19

=396.8*10^-19 J

b)

K=(1/2)mv^2

v=sqrt(2k/m)

=sqrt((2*396.8*10^-19)/1.67*10^-27)

=218^10^3 m/s

c)
r=mv/qB

=1.67*10^-27*218*10^3/1.6*10^-19*1.5*10^-4

=15.17 mr=mv/qB

=1.67*10^-27*218*10^3/1.6*10^-19*1.5*10^-4

=15.17 m

Physics news on Phys.org
You lost a factor 103 in the kinetic energy calculation.
Your magnetic field has a strange factor 10-4.

Generally:
Don't leave out units, they are important.
a/b*c could be read as ##\frac a b \cdot c##. Put brackets around denominators: a/(b*c) is unambiguous.
Even better: Use LaTeX for formulas.

Also these are PROTON calculations not PHOTON calculations!

Likes SammyS and Variable_X
mfb said:
You lost a factor 103 in the kinetic energy calculation.

Or actually earlier in the conversion to Joules.

Cutter Ketch said:
Or actually earlier in the conversion to Joules.
Which would have been much easier to pinpoint and troubleshoot if you solved the problem symbolically before substituting numerical values.

Variable_X said:
Re-workings
a)

converting 248kV to eV gives me $$2.4 × 10^-13$$
What sort of calculator are you using?

You know that if you search online for "electron volts to joules" you can find something to do the calculation. You just type in the number.

PeroK said:
What sort of calculator are you using?

You know that if you search online for "electron volts to joules" you can find something to do the calculation. You just type in the number.
I not changing eV to Joules at that point I'm changing kV to eV

Variable_X said:
I not changing eV to Joules at that point I'm changing kV to eV
And how are you doing that?

Variable_X said:
I guess I've done it wrong... E(eV) = V(V) × Q(e) so changing 248kV to V = 248000
248000x1.60x10^-19= 3.968x10^-14

An ##eV## is the energy an electron (or proton or anything else with the same charge) gains when accelerated through ##1V##. I thought you got this right in your OP:

Variable_X said:
a) 248*10^3 eV for 248kV

Variable_X said:
Ok so what about the rest?
I may be mistaken, but I think everything else is wrong.

• Sad
Likes Variable_X
Let's see where we are. First, we can write down the kinetic energy in ##eV##: ##T = 248keV##.

Next, we use a calculator (or the Internet), to convert that to Joules: ##T = 3.97 \times 10^{-14}J##.

Now, we need the speed of the proton. How would you do that?

PeroK said:
Let's see where we are. First, we can write down the kinetic energy in ##eV##: ##T = 248keV##.

Next, we use a calculator (or the Internet), to convert that to Joules: ##T = 3.97 \times 10^{-14}J##.

Now, we need the speed of the proton. How would you do that?
Yeah, I understand now, it's 6.9x10^20ms-1 (rouned)

Last edited:
Variable_X said:
Yeah, I understand now, it's 6.9x10^20J (rouned)
What is that?

Variable_X said:
That's worse! What's the speed of light?

PeroK said:
That's worse! What's the speed of light?
3.00x10^8 ms-1

Variable_X said:
3.00x10^8 ms-1
And the speed of your proton?

• Skeptical
Likes Variable_X
Variable_X said:
I'm signing off now. But, really, you can't produce a nonsensical answer like this and not realize your calculation has gone awry.

I believe you know what you are doing. Your original post does the right things for the right reasons using the right equations. (Except you converted the magnetic field to Gauss for some reason. Tesla is already the SI unit). You just can’t seem to do the numerical calculations correctly. I don’t know if you type in things wrong or don’t use scientific notation correctly, but all your difficulties arise from your calculator skills.

You should try again. I think you’ve seen and understood that your energy in Joules was off by a factor of 1000. Since the speed is proportional to the square root of energy, the speed is off by a factor of about 33. Since you converted to Gauss when you should have used Tesla your radius is off by an additional factor of 10^4. So you should have a very good idea of what the correct answer is. If you get something wildly different, you are once again making a calculator error.

Likes PeroK
Cutter Ketch said:
I believe you know what you are doing. Your original post does the right things for the right reasons using the right equations. (Except you converted the magnetic field to Gauss for some reason. Tesla is already the SI unit). You just can’t seem to do the numerical calculations correctly. I don’t know if you type in things wrong or don’t use scientific notation correctly, but all your difficulties arise from your calculator skills.

You should try again. I think you’ve seen and understood that your energy in Joules was off by a factor of 1000. Since the speed is proportional to the square root of energy, the speed is off by a factor of about 33. Since you converted to Gauss when you should have used Tesla your radius is off by an additional factor of 10^4. So you should have a very good idea of what the correct answer is. If you get something wildly different, you are once again making a calculator error.
Right so
a) is 248keV.
3.97×10−14JT=3.97×10−14J.

b) v = √(2K/m) should be √(2(3.97x10^-14)/1.67×10-31) = 6.89528x10^9 ms^-1
I'm assuming the question has typos and it's meant to be for the speed of the PROTON, not the PHOTON.

c) r = mv/(eB) r=1.67×10-31x6.9x10^9/(1.67×10-19x1.5) = 0.0046 nm

See #17 and #18 and consider if these values are realistic.

You seem to make many errors with the calculator, that makes it even more important to check if the answer is plausible.

Variable_X said:
Right so

I'm assuming the question has typos and it's meant to be for the speed of the PROTON, not the PHOTON.

You still have ##v > c##! Where did you get the mass of a proton?

Variable_X said:

c) r = mv/(eB) r=1.67×10-31x6.9x10^9/(1.67×10-19x1.5) = 0.0046 nm
you're using the mass of an electron and not of a proton at both b and c

Likes PeroK
willem2 said:
you're using the mass of an electron and not of a proton at both b and c
Actually, it's neither one thing nor the other:

Mass of proton: ##1.67 \times 10^{-27}kg##

Mass of electron: ##9.11 \times 10^{-31}kg##

Mass used in this problem: ##1.67 \times 10^{-31}kg##

Variable_X said:
My rest Mass of a proton is given as 1.67×10^-31 kg

Your protons must be different from all the others! That's less than an electron. Please check online.

Likes Variable_X
Variable_X said:
a) is 248keV.

b) v = √(2K/m) should be √(2x3.97x10^-14)/1.67×10^-19) = 1.68731x10^12 ms^-1

You appear to have used the charge on a proton instead of its mass.

Variable_X said:
a) is 248keV.

b) v = √(2K/m) should be √(2x3.97x10^-14)/1.67×10^-27) = 1.68731x10^20 ms^-1

Don't post any more answers until you get a speed significantly less than the speed of light.

• Haha
Likes berkeman
Please don't delete posts, especially not if people replied, this makes the thread difficult to follow.

1. How does a proton move in an electric field?

When a proton is placed in an electric field, it will experience a force in the direction of the field. This force will cause the proton to accelerate in the direction of the field.

2. What happens to a proton in a magnetic field?

In a magnetic field, a proton will experience a force perpendicular to both the direction of the field and the direction of its velocity. This force will cause the proton to move in a circular path.

3. How does the motion of a proton change when both electric and magnetic fields are present?

In the presence of both electric and magnetic fields, the motion of a proton will be a combination of the effects of each field. The direction and shape of the path will depend on the relative strengths and orientations of the two fields.

4. Can the motion of a proton in electric and magnetic fields be controlled?

Yes, the motion of a proton in electric and magnetic fields can be controlled by varying the strength and orientation of the fields. This is the basis for technologies such as particle accelerators and MRI machines.

5. How does the mass of a proton affect its motion in electric and magnetic fields?

The mass of a proton does not directly affect its motion in electric and magnetic fields. However, the mass does determine the strength of the force experienced by the proton and therefore the acceleration and curvature of its path.