1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of a spring

1. Nov 5, 2006 #1
    An 0.64-kg object is attached to one end of a spring, as in Fig. 10.14 and the system is set into simple harmonic motion. The displacement x of the object as a function of time is shown in the drawing above. Please take the values of A and T as: A = 0.087 m and T = 1.8 s. With the aid of this data, determine

ive already calculated amplitude, angular frequency, spring constant.

I cant figure out how to calculate these:

(d) the speed of the object at t = 3.6 s

(e) and the magnitude of the object's acceleration at t = 3.6 s

any tips??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2006 #2

radou

Homework Helper

You have a function x(t) which represents displacement. Now, what do the first and second derivatives of this function with respect to time represent?

4. Nov 5, 2006 #3
    sorry but i'm really lost here - can you please clarify what you mean by what the first and second derivatives with respect to time means? thanks for your patience

5. Nov 5, 2006 #4

radou

Homework Helper

I don't want to sound uncooperative, but I think you should do some google-ing at this point or consult your physics/calculus books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?