Motion of a star in a galaxy

Your Name]In summary, the question is asking for the orbital speed v(r) of a star in a circular orbit within a galaxy with spherically symmetric mean density and radius. The approach to solving this involves equating the force equation to Newton's second law and solving for v. However, the integral in the equation should have limits of integration corresponding to the radius of the orbit and should be evaluated over the entire volume of the galaxy. The correct equation would be v(r) = [-Gm\int_{0}^{r}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{\rho(r')e_r}{r^2}r'^2sin(\theta)d\theta d
w3390

Homework Statement

A star is moving in a circular orbit of radius r within a galaxy. What is it's orbital speed
v(r) as a function of [tex]\rho[/tex](r) and radius.

The galaxy is spherically symmetric with a mean density [tex]\rho(r)[/tex] and radius R.

Homework Equations

F = -Gm[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{\rho(r')e_{r}}{r^{2}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to find the orbital speed was to equate the equation mentioned above to F = ma, which in this case would be F = mv^2/r. From here I solved for v. However, I am confused about what to do for the integral. As I have it now, my answer looks like:

v(r) = [-Gr[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{\rho(r')e_r}{r^2}[/tex]dV']^1/2

Is that correct?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Your approach to finding the orbital speed of the star is correct. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified.

Firstly, the integral in your equation should have limits of integration, which correspond to the radius of the star's orbit. This will give you the total force acting on the star due to the galaxy's mass within that radius. Secondly, the integral should be evaluated over the entire volume of the galaxy, not just at a single point. This is because the density of the galaxy may vary at different distances from the center.

With these changes, your equation would look like:

v(r) = [-Gm\int_{0}^{r}\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{\pi}\frac{\rho(r')e_r}{r^2}r'^2sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi dr']^1/2

Where m is the mass of the star, \theta and \phi are spherical coordinates, and e_r is the unit vector in the radial direction.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the motion of a star in a galaxy?

The motion of a star in a galaxy refers to the movement of a star within its galaxy. This includes the star's orbit around the center of the galaxy, as well as its movement within the galaxy itself.

What factors influence the motion of a star in a galaxy?

The motion of a star in a galaxy is influenced by several factors, including the gravitational pull of other stars and celestial bodies, the shape and rotation of the galaxy, and the presence of dark matter.

How is the motion of a star in a galaxy measured?

The motion of a star in a galaxy is typically measured using spectroscopy, which analyzes the light emitted by the star to determine its velocity and direction of movement. Other methods, such as astrometry and interferometry, can also be used to measure a star's motion.

What is the difference between a star's radial and tangential motion in a galaxy?

A star's radial motion refers to its movement towards or away from the observer, while its tangential motion refers to its movement perpendicular to the observer's line of sight. Both types of motion are important in understanding a star's overall movement within a galaxy.

Can the motion of a star in a galaxy change over time?

Yes, the motion of a star in a galaxy can change over time due to various factors, such as interactions with other stars, changes in the galaxy's gravitational pull, and the effects of dark matter. These changes can be observed over long periods of time and can provide valuable insights into the evolution of galaxies.