Motion of an object dropped from a descending and ascending helicopter

In summary, a small mail bag is released from a descending helicopter with a steady velocity of 3.34 m/s. After 2.95 s, the speed of the mailbag is 32.25 m/s due to the acceleration of gravity. The helicopter continues to descend for 1 s before stopping, and at 2.95 s, the mailbag is located below the helicopter at a distance of 6.71 m. If the helicopter had been rising steadily at a velocity of -3.34 m/s, the speed of the mailbag would have been 29.91 m/s. To find the distance of the mailbag, the kinematic equation s=vi*t+1/2*at^2
donking225
a) A small mail bag is released from a helicopter that is descending steadily at 3.34 m/s. After 2.95 s, what is the speed of the mailbag? The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 . Answer in units of m/s

b) After the mailbag is dropped, the helicopter continues descending for 1 s but then stops. How far is the mailbag below the helicopter at 2.95 s? Answer in units of m

c) What would be the speed of the mailbag if the helicopter had been rising steadily at u = 3.34 m/s ? (Take down as positive.) Answer in units of m/s

2. vf = vi + at

3. I've already gotten the answer to a) which is 32.25m/s, but I do not know how to do b) or c) from my answer to a).

Physics news on Phys.org
donking225 said:
I've already gotten the answer to a) which is 32.25m/s, but I do not know how to do b) or c) from my answer to a).

For b), you need a kinematic equation (valid for constant acceleration) that involves distance (usually denoted s). Do you have any such?

c) is exactly the same as a) but with a different vi.

haruspex said:
For b), you need a kinematic equation (valid for constant acceleration) that involves distance (usually denoted s). Do you have any such?

c) is exactly the same as a) but with a different vi.

would this equation be appropriate for b) s=vi*t+1/2*at2

Last edited:
For c) would I use -3.34 as the vi?

Thanks for the help, I've got c) correct but am still confused about b).

Find s for both objects, what is the difference?

Note that the helicopter is not in free fall... Descending steadily...

I am assuming that the helicopter does not undergo a constant acceleration up during the 1s. The way it is written implies to me the helicopter stops instantaneously after 1s.

Last edited:
pgardn said:
Find s for both objects, what is the difference?

Note that the helicopter is not in free fall... Descending steadily...

I am assuming that the helicopter does not undergo a constant acceleration up during the 1s. The way it is written implies to me the helicopter stops instantaneously after 1s.

Thanks, looks like I missed the obvious. I got the correct answer now.

1. What is the initial velocity of an object dropped from a helicopter?

The initial velocity of an object dropped from a helicopter is determined by the speed of the helicopter itself. As the object is released, it will have the same initial velocity as the helicopter, but will be affected by gravity and air resistance as it falls.

2. How does air resistance affect the motion of an object dropped from a descending helicopter?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion and can slow it down. As the object falls, it will experience an increasing amount of air resistance, causing it to eventually reach a terminal velocity where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity.

3. How does the mass of the object affect its motion when dropped from a helicopter?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its motion when dropped from a helicopter. However, the greater the mass of the object, the more inertia it will have, making it more resistant to changes in its motion caused by air resistance or external forces.

4. What happens to an object dropped from an ascending helicopter?

If an object is dropped from an ascending helicopter, it will initially have a downward velocity equal to the speed of the helicopter. However, as it falls, it will experience a decrease in air resistance and will eventually reach a point where the force of gravity is greater than the force of air resistance, causing it to accelerate towards the ground.

5. How does the height of the helicopter affect the motion of the object dropped from it?

The height of the helicopter does not directly affect the motion of the object. However, the higher the helicopter is, the longer the object will have to fall and the higher its final velocity will be upon impact with the ground. This can also result in a longer time of flight for the object.