1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of Charged Particles

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) Calculate the value of B_z needed for an electron with a speed of 6X10^5 m/s to be deflected to the right in acirle of radius 3cm.

2) Calculate the value of E_x needed for an alpha particle with a speed of 6X10^5 m/s to be deflected to the right in a circle of radius 3cm.

3) Calculate the value of E_x needed for an electron with a speed of 6X10^5 m/s to be deflected to the right by 3 cm.

4) Calculate the value of E_x needed for any particle with a speed of 6X10^5m/s to be deflected in a magnetic field of .0005T.

5) Calculate the radius of the circle in this helix.

2. Relevant equations

r= mv/QBz

Ex = vB

3. The attempt at a solution

So problems 1 and 2 are straight forward plug and play. Got those answers to be 1.14E-4 T and .415 T respectively. Problem 4 is also plug and play to come out to 300 N/C.

Where I get out of what is on problem 3 and 5. Any help/equations to get me started? I hate to look like I haven't tried to solve there I just don't know where to go with these. Just need some help along the yellow brick road.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    Anyone have any ideas?

4. Jul 22, 2010 #3
    It doesn't make sense.

Apart from the peculiar mix of Cartesian directions and left/right, I assume the x direction to mean the original direction of travel.
    In which case for part 3 the field E_x would be along that same direction and would merely impart additional acceleration. To the right?! - it's meaningless.

I don't see how you answer 4 so confidently either. It just says 'to be deflected' How much? are we to assume it's the same 3cm radius?

The first two parts are reasonable and fairly trivial questions - but the rest of it is garbage.

Is there a diagram? Is that what's missing?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook