How can charged particles be deflected by both magnetic and electric fields?

In summary: Because right now I'm just seeing a bunch of words.In summary, the homework statement is asking for the values of B_z, E_x, and r for an electron, alpha particle, and magnetic field, respectively.
lwelch70

Homework Statement

1) Calculate the value of B_z needed for an electron with a speed of 6X10^5 m/s to be deflected to the right in acirle of radius 3cm.

2) Calculate the value of E_x needed for an alpha particle with a speed of 6X10^5 m/s to be deflected to the right in a circle of radius 3cm.

3) Calculate the value of E_x needed for an electron with a speed of 6X10^5 m/s to be deflected to the right by 3 cm.

4) Calculate the value of E_x needed for any particle with a speed of 6X10^5m/s to be deflected in a magnetic field of .0005T.

5) Calculate the radius of the circle in this helix.

Homework Equations

r= mv/QBz

Ex = vB

The Attempt at a Solution

So problems 1 and 2 are straight forward plug and play. Got those answers to be 1.14E-4 T and .415 T respectively. Problem 4 is also plug and play to come out to 300 N/C.

Where I get out of what is on problem 3 and 5. Any help/equations to get me started? I hate to look like I haven't tried to solve there I just don't know where to go with these. Just need some help along the yellow brick road.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone have any ideas?

It doesn't make sense.

Apart from the peculiar mix of Cartesian directions and left/right, I assume the x direction to mean the original direction of travel.
In which case for part 3 the field E_x would be along that same direction and would merely impart additional acceleration. To the right?! - it's meaningless.

I don't see how you answer 4 so confidently either. It just says 'to be deflected' How much? are we to assume it's the same 3cm radius?

The first two parts are reasonable and fairly trivial questions - but the rest of it is garbage.

Is there a diagram? Is that what's missing?

1. How do charged particles move?

Charged particles move in response to electric and magnetic fields. Electric fields exert a force on charged particles, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the field. Magnetic fields, on the other hand, cause charged particles to move in a circular path perpendicular to the direction of the field.

2. What determines the motion of a charged particle?

The motion of a charged particle is determined by its charge, mass, and the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields it is experiencing. The particle's initial velocity and any other external forces acting on it may also affect its motion.

3. Can a charged particle change direction?

Yes, a charged particle can change direction if it encounters a change in the electric or magnetic field it is experiencing. If the field becomes stronger or weaker, or changes direction, the charged particle will adjust its path accordingly.

4. How does the motion of a charged particle differ from that of a neutral particle?

Unlike neutral particles, charged particles are affected by electric and magnetic fields, which can cause them to accelerate or change direction. This allows for more control and manipulation of charged particles in scientific and technological applications.

5. Can the motion of a charged particle be predicted?

Yes, the motion of a charged particle can be predicted by using mathematical equations such as the Lorentz force law, which takes into account the particle's charge, mass, and the electric and magnetic fields it is experiencing. However, the exact path of a charged particle may be difficult to predict due to factors such as random collisions with other particles.