1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion of Object

1. Mar 7, 2014 #1
    I am so lost with this physics question, I am just new to physics and it is kicking my butt!

Question: You are describing to a friend the motion of an object moving north. However, you mention nothing about how the speed of the object as time passes.

a) Is it possible for your friend to state the velocity vector points north? Is it possible to state it points south? Explain.

b) Is it possible for your friend to state the acceleration vector points north? Is it possible to state it points south? Explain.

- This is probably a really simple question an I know both velocity and acceleration have direction but I'm confused on what this question is asking because both of them would need more then just a direction?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2014 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You need to know both the magnitude and direction of a vector to fully describe it, but the question talks about direction with unknown magnitude. It is given that the velocity vector points north. But the object velocity might be changing with time, that is , accelerating or decelerating or staying constant
    So now how do you answer and explain?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted