Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Motion of Perseid in a space

1. Aug 12, 2016 #1
    Hello I have probably stupid question, but I can't explain it. First I thought, that they move like comet, but then I realized, that we are meeting every year in same date. On the other hand, they can't just sit in the space. The sun would attract them. So what exactly is happening? What is a motion of Perseids with respect to the sun?
    Thank you for yours respond.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2016 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there

the dust and debris that is the Perseid ( or any other ) meteor shower is in orbit around the sun in a highly elliptical path
    This is the path that the parent comet for that shower, that produced the debris, takes around the sun
    and each time the comet does a trip around its orbit, the new material coming off the comet adds to the remaining material from previous orbits

http://starryskies.com/The_sky/events/meteors/comet.orbit.jpg

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  4. Aug 12, 2016 #3
    Thank you very much for explaining ;)

5. Aug 12, 2016 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hope that was enough ?
    any other Q's just ask :smile:

Dave

6. Aug 12, 2016 #5
    I have many questions, but this was urgent :) I tried to find out it by myself, but I failed. The others I have to try also and study after this I will ask...don't worry...I will :) Thank you again ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted