Particle's Motion in XY Coordinate System

In summary: This was given in the problem statement: x=-(5m)sinωt. It probably should have been clarified as x=-(5m)sin(ωt). Omega is the angular frequency, and multiply that by time gives you a dimensionless quantity as the argument for...
OcaliptusP

Homework Statement

Coordinates of a particle which moves on a xy coordinate system given with:
x=-(5m)sinωt
y=(4m)-(5m)cosωt
In these equlations t's unit given as second, and ω's unit
second^-1. A-) Found velocity and acceleration components when t=0 B-) Write equlations for position and acceleration vektors when t>0C-)Define particle's way
on a xy graph.

Homework Equations

V=dx/dt a=dV/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take deridatives of equlations, but I couldn't.
Can someone explain deridativation method clearly:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tuna Onat said:
Can someone explain deridativation method clearly:D
Are you sure you didn't mean derivation? Derivation can allow you to find the motion of a particle at a specific point in time.

Yes my English is not well so there can be some writing mistakes. I mean I actually cannot derivate the equlations which given in that problem:smile:

Do you know how to find the derivatives of trig functions? Also, where is ##t## in the functions, and what does ##m## indicate?

Okay I am so sorry this is my first post. In the equlations y's at right side are actually t I know how to derivate trig functions

person123 said:
Do you know how to find the derivatives of trig functions? Also, where is ##t## in the functions, and what does ##m## indicate?
I think I fixed it

So is ##x=-5m\sin(\frac 1 t) t##? and ##y=4m-5m\cos(\frac 1 t) t##? I'm guessing ##m## is a constant. By the way, if you want to write equations more clearly here's the page which shows you how: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/. I found it pretty simple.

Last edited:
person123 said:
So is ##x=-5m\sin(\frac 1 t) t##? and ##y=4m-5m\cos(\frac 1 t) t##? I'm guess ##m## is a constant.
Yes m is meter unit. Equlations are correct

Alright. So if you find the derivative with respect to time you will get the velocity. Do it again and you'll get acceleration. Knowing the derivative of trig functions and the chain rule should make it manageable.

person123 said:
Alright. So if you find the derivative with respect to time you will get the velocity. Do it again and you'll get acceleration. Knowing the derivative of trig functions and the chain rule should make it manageable.
I cannot derivate it still :/ can you explain me step by step

Tuna Onat said:
Do you know the chain rule?

person123 said:
Do you know the chain rule?
Yes it is df(g(x))/dx=g'(x)f'(g(x)) am I wrong?

Originally you have this:
x=-(5m)sinωt
y=(4m)-(5m)cosωt

In these equations t's unit given as second, and ω's unit
second^-1.

Then somehow you have x = (-5 meters)sin(1/t)t, but where did the extra t come from? You need to keep ω in there, which has dimension of (1 / time) which cancels out the time [the argument of sine or cosine need to be dimensionless].

scottdave said:
Originally you have this:
x=-(5m)sinωt
y=(4m)-(5m)cosωt

In these equations t's unit given as second, and ω's unit
second^-1.

Then somehow you have x = (-5 meters)sin(1/t)t, but where did the extra t come from? You need to keep ω in there, which has dimension of (1 / time) which cancels out the time [the argument of sine or cosine need to be dimensionless].
Yes when you dimensionally analyze the problem this problem occurs. The problem is about problem then ?

Let's say you have f(θ), and you want to take the derivative with respect to t, and θ is a function of t, then you have df/dt = (df/dθ)*(dθ/dt).
So for sin(θ) you have (d/dt) of sin(θ) = cos(θ)*(dθ/dt). Since θ = ωt, then dθ/dt = ω

Looking at x(t) = (-5 meters)*sin(ωt), taking the first derivative gives (ω)*(-5 meters)*cos(ωt) {trig function and chain rule}. Note that this now has the dimension of {length / time} which is velocity. Taking the derivative of velocity {second derivative of x} gives a = x'' = (ω2)*(5 meters)*sin(ωt), which has the dimension of {length / time2} which is acceleration. Do similar for the y component.

scottdave said:
Let's say you have f(θ), and you want to take the derivative with respect to t, and θ is a function of t, then you have df/dt = (df/dθ)*(dθ/dt).
So for sin(θ) you have (d/dt) of sin(θ) = cos(θ)*(dθ/dt). Since θ = ωt, then dθ/dt = ω
I unterstood until last equlation but why θ=ωt? Did I missunderstood something in question?

Tuna Onat said:
I unterstood until last equlation but why θ=ωt? Did I missunderstood something in question?
This was given in the problem statement: x=-(5m)sinωt. It probably should have been clarified as x=-(5m)sin(ωt). Omega is the angular frequency, and multiply that by time gives you a dimensionless quantity as the argument for sine.

Okay now I understand that I completely miss understood that question I assumed that x= -5m sin(ω)t
not x= -5sin(ωt) Thanks for all your help

Likes scottdave
OcaliptusP said:

PF helpers are not allowed to do that; read the posting rules, which state that YOU must first do some work on the problem before receiving help.

1. What is the XY coordinate system?

The XY coordinate system is a two-dimensional graph used to represent the position and movement of an object. The horizontal axis (X) represents the displacement or distance traveled, while the vertical axis (Y) represents the time elapsed.

2. How is particle's motion represented in the XY coordinate system?

The particle's motion is represented by a line or curve on the XY coordinate system. The slope of the line or curve indicates the particle's velocity, while the shape and direction of the line show the particle's acceleration.

3. What is the equation for calculating a particle's displacement in the XY coordinate system?

The equation for calculating a particle's displacement in the XY coordinate system is Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

4. How can the velocity of a particle be determined from its position in the XY coordinate system?

The velocity of a particle can be determined by calculating the slope of the line tangent to the particle's position on the XY coordinate system. The steeper the slope, the greater the velocity of the particle.

5. What factors can affect a particle's motion in the XY coordinate system?

Several factors can affect a particle's motion in the XY coordinate system, including external forces such as gravity or friction, the particle's initial velocity, and any changes in the particle's velocity over time due to acceleration or deceleration.