1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion problem

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1
    I have a problem from a practice physics exam:
    The specifications for design of a playgroud slide say that a child should gain a speed of no more than 15m/s by sliding down the eqipment. How tall can the slide be?

these are the equations that we'll be given in our exam:
    v[tex]_{x}[/tex] = v[tex]_{0x}[/tex] + a[tex]_{x}[/tex]t
    x = [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] (v[tex]_{0x}[/tex] + v[tex]_{x}[/tex])t
    x = v[tex]_{0x}[/tex]t + [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]a[tex]_{x}[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]
    v[tex]_{x}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] = v[tex]_{0x}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] + 2a[tex]_{x}[/tex]x

although i can work out the answer to the problem i had to look up a new equation because i couldn't work out how to do it with the equations that we were given, so i was wondering if it was possible to do it with one of them, so if you could tell me which one would work the best or if i should just start memorising some new equations, but here's what i did anyway:
    v[tex]_{max}[/tex] = 15m/s where g = -9.81m/s
    v[tex]_{y}[/tex][tex]^{2}[/tex] = -2g[tex]\Delta[/tex]y
    therefore [tex]\Delta[/tex]y = [tex]\frac{v_{y}^{2}}{-2g}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{15^{2}}{-9.81\times-2}[/tex]
    =11m

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2
    I would work out the energy
    gain in kinetic energy = loss in gravitational potential energy
    (1/2)(m)(v^2) = (m)(g)(h)
    simplifying you get
    v^2 = 2(g)h
    h = (121)/(2g)

4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    thanks for that, i didn't even consider energy and those formulae are included too so no memorising

once again thanks a bunch

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?