1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Problem

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1
    A Runner Completed four laps of a 400m track in 6.0 minutes. Find the distance travelled and displacement of the runner.

Ok i know that distance would be 400m * 4 laps obviously but how would you write that out? What would a formula be? (Complete guess below, obviously not right.)
    d1 = 400m
    ??? = 4 (meaning laps)
    [tex]\Delta[/tex]d = ?

and my formula and therefore statement would follow..

Second Question.
    Isn't finding displacement for this questions pointless because you would be in the same place you started out as? Also i don't know the equation i would use to find displacement given only speed and time.

I am in grade 10 physics so please take it easy if you think there are obvious answers and please dont give me to complicated feedback :).
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Distance covered in 1 lap =400m
    No. of laps run=4
    Total distance covered=(400*4)m

I would assume that the displacement is zero because as you said, the runner finished where he started so.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?