Finding the Distance Traveled & Displacement of a Runner

In summary, a runner completed four laps of a 400m track in 6.0 minutes, covering a total distance of 1600m. The displacement is assumed to be zero as the runner finished where they started.
Display MOB
A Runner Completed four laps of a 400m track in 6.0 minutes. Find the distance traveled and displacement of the runner.

Ok i know that distance would be 400m * 4 laps obviously but how would you write that out? What would a formula be? (Complete guess below, obviously not right.)
d1 = 400m
? = 4 (meaning laps)
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d = ?

and my formula and therefore statement would follow..

Second Question.
Isn't finding displacement for this questions pointless because you would be in the same place you started out as? Also i don't know the equation i would use to find displacement given only speed and time.

I am in grade 10 physics so please take it easy if you think there are obvious answers and please don't give me to complicated feedback :).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Distance covered in 1 lap =400m
No. of laps run=4
Total distance covered=(400*4)m

I would assume that the displacement is zero because as you said, the runner finished where he started so.

I would approach this problem by first defining the variables involved. In this case, we have:

d = distance traveled (in meters)
l = number of laps completed
t = time taken (in minutes)

Using these variables, we can write out the formula for distance traveled:

d = 400m * l

Since the runner completed four laps, we can substitute l with 4:

d = 400m * 4 = 1600m

So, the distance traveled by the runner is 1600 meters.

Now, for displacement, we need to define another variable, x, which represents the displacement. Displacement is defined as the shortest distance between the starting point and the ending point. In this case, since the runner ends up at the same point where they started, the displacement would be 0.

Therefore, the formula for displacement would be:

x = 0

So, the displacement of the runner is 0 meters.

To address your second question, finding the displacement may seem pointless in this scenario since the runner ends up at the same point where they started. However, displacement is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand the overall motion of an object. In this case, even though the runner ends up at the same point, they still traveled a distance of 1600 meters, which gives us information about their speed and direction of motion.

1. How is distance traveled different from displacement?

Distance traveled refers to the total length of the path taken by the runner, while displacement is the shortest distance between the start and end points. In other words, displacement takes into account the direction of the movement, while distance traveled does not.

2. How do you calculate the distance traveled and displacement of a runner?

To calculate the distance traveled, you can use the formula: distance = speed x time. This will give you the total distance traveled over a given time period. For displacement, you can use the formula: displacement = final position - initial position. This will give you the distance and direction from the starting point to the end point.

3. What units of measurement are used for distance and displacement?

Distance and displacement are typically measured in meters (m) or kilometers (km) for longer distances. In some cases, they can also be measured in feet (ft) or miles (mi). The unit of measurement used will depend on the preferences of the scientist or the specific experiment being conducted.

4. Can distance traveled be greater than displacement?

Yes, distance traveled can be greater than displacement. This can occur when the runner takes a longer path with more turns and curves, resulting in a greater total distance traveled. However, the displacement will always be equal to or less than the distance traveled.

5. How does the runner's speed and direction affect their displacement?

The runner's speed and direction play a major role in their displacement. If the runner is moving in a straight line, their speed and displacement will be the same. However, if the runner is changing direction, their speed and displacement will be different. The faster the runner's speed and the more changes in direction, the greater their displacement will be.