Finding runner acceleration

In summary, if a sprinter reaches his top speed of 11.2 m/s in 2.14 s, he will cover 11.9 m in 4.585 sec and have a time of 100 m - 11.99m = 88.01 m.
osker246

Homework Statement

A simple model for a person running the 100 m dash is to assume the sprinter runs with a constant acceleration until reaching top speed, then maintains that speed through the finish line. If a sprinter reaches his top speed of 11.2 m/s in 2.14 s, what will be his total time?

Homework Equations

Xf = Xi + ((Vx)i)(Delta T) + .5(Ax)(Delta T)^2

((Vx)f)^2 = ((Vx)i)^2 + 2(Ax)(Delta X)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I need a second opinion to know if I've done this correctly or not. I have the textbook answer but I don't know if its correct or not since I'm not getting the same answer.

I start out by finding the acceleration while the runner gets up to speed.

11.2 m/s / 2.14 = 5.23 m/s^2

Using the info given I try and find the distance covered:

11.2^2 = 0^2 + 2(5.23)(Delta X)

Delta X = 125.44/10.46 = 11.99 m

I then find the time taken to cover the distance:

11.9 = .5(5.23)(Delta T)^2

(Delta T)^2 = 11.9/2.615 = 4.585
Delta T = 2.14 s

OK so now...

100 m - 11.99m = 88.01m

I then find the time it takes to travel this distance.

88.01 = .5(5.23)(delta T)^2

(delta T)^2 = 33.65

delta T= 5.80 sec

so I add the two times

5.80 sec + 2.14 sec = 7.94 sec

Am I doing this correctly? My textbook is showing me the time as being 10 seconds but I don't see any other way of finding this answer. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi osker246,

osker246 said:

Homework Statement

A simple model for a person running the 100 m dash is to assume the sprinter runs with a constant acceleration until reaching top speed, then maintains that speed through the finish line. If a sprinter reaches his top speed of 11.2 m/s in 2.14 s, what will be his total time?

Homework Equations

Xf = Xi + ((Vx)i)(Delta T) + .5(Ax)(Delta T)^2

((Vx)f)^2 = ((Vx)i)^2 + 2(Ax)(Delta X)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I need a second opinion to know if I've done this correctly or not. I have the textbook answer but I don't know if its correct or not since I'm not getting the same answer.

I start out by finding the acceleration while the runner gets up to speed.

11.2 m/s / 2.14 = 5.23 m/s^2

Using the info given I try and find the distance covered:

11.2^2 = 0^2 + 2(5.23)(Delta X)

Delta X = 125.44/10.46 = 11.99 m

I then find the time taken to cover the distance:

11.9 = .5(5.23)(Delta T)^2

(Delta T)^2 = 11.9/2.615 = 4.585
Delta T = 2.14 s

OK so now...

100 m - 11.99m = 88.01m

I then find the time it takes to travel this distance.

88.01 = .5(5.23)(delta T)^2

The runner is not accelerating once he reaches top speed, so I think this step is not right.

alphysicist said:
Hi osker246,

The runner is not accelerating once he reaches top speed, so I think this step is not right.

wow I cannot believe I over looked that. So then it just comes down to using T= D/R to find the rest of the problem. Thanks A lot alphysicist! I've been stumped on this problem for the past hour trying to figure out where I went wrong.

osker246 said:
wow I cannot believe I over looked that. So then it just comes down to using T= D/R to find the rest of the problem. Thanks A lot alphysicist! I've been stumped on this problem for the past hour trying to figure out where I went wrong.

Yes, once you use that equation (T=D/R), the rest looks perfect. And by the way, the way you wrote your original post was great; giving the details of your work made it very easy to understand what you did.

1. How do you measure runner acceleration?

Runner acceleration can be measured using a speedometer, stopwatch, or motion capture technology. The runner's average speed over a specific distance and time can be used to calculate their acceleration.

2. What factors affect runner acceleration?

Some factors that can affect runner acceleration include their physical fitness level, the terrain they are running on, their running technique, and external factors like wind resistance.

3. Can you improve runner acceleration?

Yes, runner acceleration can be improved through strength and agility training, practicing proper running techniques, and incorporating interval training into a workout routine.

4. How does runner acceleration differ from top speed?

Runner acceleration refers to the rate at which a runner can increase their speed, while top speed is the maximum speed that a runner can reach. Runner acceleration is typically measured over a shorter distance, while top speed is measured over a longer distance.

5. Is runner acceleration important for all types of running?

Yes, runner acceleration is important for all types of running, whether it is sprinting, long-distance running, or any other form of running. It allows runners to quickly increase their speed and maintain their pace throughout a race or training session.