1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion problem

1. Jul 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple model for a person running the 100 m dash is to assume the sprinter runs with a constant acceleration until reaching top speed, then maintains that speed through the finish line. If a sprinter reaches his top speed of 11.2 m/s in 2.14 s, what will be his total time?

2. Relevant equations
    Xf = Xi + ((Vx)i)(Delta T) + .5(Ax)(Delta T)^2

((Vx)f)^2 = ((Vx)i)^2 + 2(Ax)(Delta X)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I need a second opinion to know if I've done this correctly or not. I have the text book answer but I don't know if its correct or not since I'm not getting the same answer.

I start out by finding the acceleration while the runner gets up to speed.

11.2 m/s / 2.14 = 5.23 m/s^2

Using the info given I try and find the distance covered:

11.2^2 = 0^2 + 2(5.23)(Delta X)

Delta X = 125.44/10.46 = 11.99 m

I then find the time taken to cover the distance:

11.9 = .5(5.23)(Delta T)^2

(Delta T)^2 = 11.9/2.615 = 4.585
    Delta T = 2.14 s

OK so now....

100 m - 11.99m = 88.01m

I then find the time it takes to travel this distance.

88.01 = .5(5.23)(delta T)^2

(delta T)^2 = 33.65

delta T= 5.80 sec

so I add the two times

5.80 sec + 2.14 sec = 7.94 sec

Am I doing this correctly? My text book is showing me the time as being 10 seconds but I don't see any other way of finding this answer. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi osker246,

The runner is not accelerating once he reaches top speed, so I think this step is not right.
  4. Jul 14, 2008 #3
    wow I cannot believe I over looked that. So then it just comes down to using T= D/R to find the rest of the problem. Thanks A lot alphysicist! I've been stumped on this problem for the past hour trying to figure out where I went wrong.
  5. Jul 14, 2008 #4

Homework Helper

Yes, once you use that equation (T=D/R), the rest looks perfect. And by the way, the way you wrote your original post was great; giving the details of your work made it very easy to understand what you did.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?