1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Problem

1. Sep 11, 2008 #1
    Motion Problem!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so I got number one (6.36904) but I'm having real trouble getting the angle w.r.t the wall. At first I thought of taking the t (from [​IMG]) then multiplying it by the acceleration to get the y component of the velocity. I then thought of taking the inverse tangent of (5.5/Vy). But I am not sure if it is right. Did I do something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2
    Re: Motion Problem!!

Yes, you do want something like tan(angle) = vx / vy. This gives you the angle between your vector and the vertical direction (the wall is vertical).

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3

Can please be a little more specific?

5. Sep 12, 2008 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need the x and y components of the velocity and then you can use your tangent method.

6. Sep 12, 2008 #5

That's what I was trying to do, but is my method of getting the y component of the velocity (listed above) right? Or was I supposed to use another method?

7. Sep 12, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You'll have to use some kinematic equations. You need to find the time it takes to hit the wall and then the speed it will be travelling in the vertical direction due to that acceleration after that time. If you got the first part correct then you should already know both components surely?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?