1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion problem

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1

Can anybody help with the following:

A point particle moves in a plane with trajectory given by r(t) = R [θ (t)]^3/2, where R is a constant.

The angle θ in radians increases in time according to the equation θ (t) = 1/2 α t^2,
    where α is a constant whose numerical value is α = 1 s^-2.

a. Sketch the trajectory of the particle.
    b. Compute the time t > 0, if any, for which the radial and tangential components of the velocity of the particle coincide.
    c. Compute the time t > 0, if any, for which the acceleration of the particle is purely tangential.
    d. Compute the time t > 0, if any, for which the radial acceleration of the particle is twice its tangential acceleration.

I really am struggling with this question. I'm not even sure about sketching the trajectory, which is usually the least I can do in these type of questions! Can anybody help and explain it in really simple terms. Thanks for any help with this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

What you have is an equation in polar coordinates don't you?

And if |R| is constant, it is described how?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?