1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion problem

1. Oct 13, 2009 #1
    Two trains heading straight for each other on the same track are 850m apart when their engineers see each other and hit the brakes, giving both trains a constant deceleration (a). The Express is heading west at a speed of 15.0 m/s, while the east bound Flyer is traveling at a speed of 25 m/s. Calculate the minimum deceleration (a) required for a collision to be avoided.

V1 speed of first train = 15.0 m/s
    V2 speed of second train = 25 m/s
    x=850 m

Can someone please help me solve this problem. I have been staring at it for about an hour and cannot even begin to go anywhere.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

What is the relevant kinematic equation which relates vi, vf, a and x?
    In this problem what is the final velocities of the trains?
    If west bound train moves a distance x m before it stops, what is the distance traveled by east bound train?

4. Oct 13, 2009 #3
    The kinematic equation would be..

V^2 = V0^2 + 2a (X-X0)

The final velocity would have to be 0 since they have to come to a complete stop to avoid a collision.

I am not really sure about the distance.. since the total distance is 850..possibly 850-x?

5. Oct 13, 2009 #4

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes. You are right. Now wright down two equations for two trains. And solve for x. From that you can find a.

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5
    ok let me try this

15^2 = 2a(850-x)

and

25^2 = 2a(850-x)

a = 25^2 / (1700 - 2x) plug back into eqn. 1? to solve for x?

7. Oct 13, 2009 #6

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

First one should be
    15^2 = 2ax.
    Now 15^2/25^2 = 2ax/2a(850-x)
    Solve for x.

8. Oct 13, 2009 #7
    ok I get x = 225m is this correct? It was a little difficult to solve for x. The acceleration should cancel correct?

9. Oct 13, 2009 #8
    Also plugging that number back in I get the acceleration for both of the equations to be

a= -0.5 m/s^2 minimum

10. Oct 13, 2009 #9

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes. You are right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook