1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Problems (tension)

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A ball of mass m on the end of a string is released from rest when the string is held horizontal
    eg:
    0-----

Prove that as the ball moves through the lowest point in its swing the string has a magnitude equal to three times the weight of the ball.

2. Relevant equations
    Fc = mv^2/r
    Weight = mg

3. The attempt at a solution
    Because its motion in a vertical circular plane, I thought that mv^2/r would be needed, obviously the equation would end up something like
    xxxxxx = 3mg
    But I'm not sure how or why that would happen?
    Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Consider what the kinetic energy is of the ball at the lowest point.

Using your knowledge of centripetal acceleration and the weight then what is the force on the string at that point?

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    What does it mean to say, "...the string has a magnitude equal to three times the weight of the ball"? How does the string have a magnitude?

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I'm sure they intend the "tension in the string" ...

6. Feb 19, 2009 #5
    The point is, it would really help if people asking questions would learn to ask those questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook