Solving Motion Problems: John and Pedro

• Thread starter tdusffx
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation involved two problems involving the calculation of time and distance for objects falling from a given height and initial velocity, taking into account acceleration due to gravity. The first problem involved a window washer dropping a squeegee from a scaffold, while the second problem involved a person tossing a ball out of a window. The participants discussed various equations and formulas, such as xf = Xi +Vxi*t + 1/2at^2, in order to find the solutions. They also clarified the difference between horizontal and vertical motion, as well as the effects of acceleration on each. Overall, the conversation demonstrated a problem-solving approach to physics and the importance of understanding and correctly applying formulas to find accurate solutions.
tdusffx
1.) john, a window washer, is 29.4 m high on a scaffold rising at a speed of 4.9 m/s when he drops a squeegee. ignoring air resistance, the time it takes the squeegee to reach the ground is?

2.) pedro tosses a ball out of a window 78.4m above level after checking to see that no one on the ground might be hit by the ball. if the ball exits the window with the horizontal velocity of 20m/s, how far from the point below the window does it land?

I don't know which formula is to use in these problems..help please =D

Physics news on Phys.org
Give it a shot. What formulas do you know? When the squeegee is dropped, does it accelerate?

i solved the first one...I used the xf = Xi +Vxi + 1/2at^2 formula for the first one..

2nd one I'm still trying.

tdusffx said:
i solved the first one...I used the xf = Xi +Vxi + 1/2at^2 formula for the first one..

Cool. That's the right formula to use, but the formula should be:

xf = Xi +Vxi*t + 1/2at^2

probably just a typo.

2nd one I'm still trying.

good. :smile:

hmmm..no luck on 2nd one...can you help me on this? lol

tdusffx said:
hmmm..no luck on 2nd one...can you help me on this? lol

sure. can you give an equation for vertical displacement? I assume that the scaffold isn't still rising at this point... the question doesn't make it clear.

I have the vertical displacement, right? isn't the vertical displacement 78.4m?

tdusffx said:
I have the vertical displacement, right? isn't the vertical displacement 78.4m?

That's the initial height... try to use this equation just as before:

xf = Xi +Vxi*t + 1/2at^2

only difference is that Vxi = 0 I believe.

hmm..I think Xf = Xi + Vit +1/2at^2

you just change it to x's to y's since your doing vertical...

therefore..0 = 78.4 + 20x + 1/2(-9.81)t^2

I got up there...I don't kow what to do next.

tdusffx said:
hmm..I think Xf = Xi + Vit +1/2at^2

you just change it to x's to y's since your doing vertical...

therefore..0 = 78.4 + 20x + 1/2(-9.81)t^2

I got up there...I don't kow what to do next.

You should deal with the horizontal motions and vertical motions separately. For the vertical equation, you use only vertical velocity and vertical acceleration... for the horizontal equation, you use only horizontal velocity and horizontal acceleration.

What answer did you get for the first part?

I got 6.5secs for the vertical..i'm working on the horizontal.

how do I find the horizontal velocity?

tdusffx said:
I got 6.5secs for the vertical..i'm working on the horizontal.

Is that what you got for part 1) of the question? That's not what I'm getting. Can you post your calculations?

78.4 + 20t + 1/2(-9.81)t^2 = 0

t = 6.5, -2.4

then for the x components

Yf = 0 + Vxi(6.5) + 1/2(-9.81)(6.5)^2

But i don't know how to find Vxi...is it 20m/s also?

tdusffx said:
78.4 + 20t + 1/2(-9.81)t^2 = 0

You shouldn't be using 20 here... 20m/s is the horizontal velocity not vertical. What is the initial vertical velocity?

What did you get for the previous part of the question... the one with 29.4m going up wat 4.9m/s ?

i got 3 seconds for the first part of the question...so like, use the 20m/s for the horizontal..and the vertical? :D

tdusffx said:
i got 3 seconds for the first part of the question...so like, use the 20m/s for the horizontal..and the vertical? :D

Ah good. I got 3s also. The initial vertical velocity is 0 (assuming the scaffold is not moving up at this point). So for the vertical part your equation should just be:

78.4 + 1/2(-9.81)t^2 = 0

oh kk...

78.4 + 1/2(-9.81)t^2 = 0

t = plus/minus 4

therefore

Xf = 78.4 + 20(4) 1/2(-9.81)(4)^2?

Xf = 79.9 meters?

tdusffx said:
oh kk...

78.4 + 1/2(-9.81)t^2 = 0

t = plus/minus 4

therefore

Xf = 78.4 + 20(4) 1/2(-9.81)(4)^2?

Xf = 79.9 meters?

Remember for the horizontal equation... you use horizontal velocity... horizontal acceleration etc... why are you using -9.81 for the horizontal displacement? same with the 78.4... ?

what is the horizontal acceleration? what is the initial horizontal position?

oh ya...Xi is 0...sorry about that

Xf = 20(4) + 1/2(9.81)(4)^2

Xf = 158.5?

tdusffx said:
oh ya...Xi is 0...sorry about that

Xf = 20(4) + 1/2(9.81)(4)^2

Xf = 158.5?

why are you using 9.81?

i don't know what to use for a...

:(

well, i have to sleep now..thanks for the help sir. I have physics 7:30 (central time) am tomorrow, lol. have a great night and thanks again.

tdusffx said:
i don't know what to use for a...

:(

a = 0. There is no acceleration horizontally. Acceleration only happens when there's a force... the only force here is gravity which causes a vertical acceleration only.

in other words... the velocity is constant horizontally.

tdusffx said:
well, i have to sleep now..thanks for the help sir. I have physics 7:30 (central time) am tomorrow, lol. have a great night and thanks again.

no prob. good night.

1. What is the difference between John and Pedro's motion problems?

John's motion problem involves a moving object with a constant speed, while Pedro's motion problem involves a moving object with a changing speed.

2. How can we solve John and Pedro's motion problems?

To solve these motion problems, we can use the formula distance = speed x time. For John's problem, we can simply use the given speed and time to calculate the distance. For Pedro's problem, we will need to use the average speed to calculate the distance.

3. What is the significance of using average speed in Pedro's problem?

In Pedro's problem, the speed is constantly changing, so we use average speed to represent the overall rate of motion. This allows us to calculate the distance traveled accurately.

4. Can we use the distance = speed x time formula for any motion problem?

No, this formula can only be used for motion problems where the speed remains constant. For problems with changing speed, we need to use other formulas such as the average speed formula or the velocity formula.

5. How can we check if our solution to John and Pedro's problems is correct?

We can check our solution by plugging in the calculated values into the original problem and seeing if the equation holds true. We can also use a graph to visually represent the motion and check if the calculated distance matches the graph.