1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion Question

1. Dec 26, 2003 #1
    I would like to answer a Physics question which is about motion.
    Question: An object is dropped from a height of 50 m above the ground from a helicopter. How long does the object take to reach the ground and what is its velocity on landing if the helicopter
    (a) is at rest,
    (b) is ascending with a velocity of 2 m/s,
    (c) is descending with a velocity of 2 m/s and
    (d) has just ascended to its maximum height and is about to descend at an acceleration 1 m/s-2?

My answer:
    (a) Because the helicopter is at rest, when drop the object, the initial velocity of the object is 0 m/s, right? Then I can perform my calculation to find the answers using v = u + at and v2 = u2 + 2as.
    (b) In this question, the initial velocity of the object is -2 m/s because the helicopter is ascending with a velocity of 2 m/s.
    (c) The initial velocity of the object is 2 m/s because the helicopter is descending with a velocity of 2 m/s.
    The steps to find the answers to (b) and (c) are the same as in (a).
    (d) Is it right that the initial velocity of the object is also 0 m/s because the helicopter is only about to descend at an acceleration 1 m/s-2? The acceleration should have no effect on the object dropped. Therefore, the answers should be the same as in part (a).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2010 #2
    Those answers seem right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?