1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion question

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    1. A boy standing on the ground throws a stone with velocity 20 m/s at an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal. It hits the wall of a nearby building at a position 3.0m above the level at which it was thrown. How far is the from the boy? (Two answers are possible. Give both. One represents the stone on its way up, the other on the way down.)

2. I guess I mainly need some help with which formula to use.

3. I am thinking that you will use Range=(Vo^2*sin2theta)/(|g|) and V^2x = V^2ox + 2axX. Sorry if those look bad. Is there any sub or sup script formatting? Am I thinking right with the formulas? I really don't even know what the second one finds for you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2
    You would use

[tex]y(t) = y_o + v_{yo} t - \frac {1}{2} g t^2[/tex]

for vertical motion and

[tex]x(t) = x_0 + v_{xo} t[/tex]
    for horizontal motion. (Btw, see this thread for LaTex formatting.)

4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Thanks.

What does the question mean by one answer is for "the way up and the other for the way down"?

5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The stone could still be rising when it hits the wall ("on the way up") or it might have reached its maximum height prior to hitting the wall ("on the way down"). The two scenarios yield two different answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?