Build a Simple Motion Sensor: Tutorial & Schematics

In summary, to build a simple motion sensor, you can use either IR or Ultrasound technology. For an IR sensor, you will need an IR fresnel lens and an IR receiver circuit. The sensor works by detecting changes in output voltage caused by moving objects passing in front of the lens. For Ultrasound, you can use Doppler changes in return pings or look for multipath changes in the return echo waveform. It is recommended to start experimenting with an electronics kit that includes an Ultrasonic transducer. A helpful resource for getting started is HowStuffWorks.com's article on IR sensors.
ranger
Gold Member
How can I build a simple motion sensor, nothing really fancy. Just something that I can learn from. Does anyone know a good tutorial? Like one that has schematics then some explanations. Or can someone explain how to do this?

--thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You mean like to remotely sense people moving, as opposed to measuring linear motion of something? If you mean sensing people/animals/etc. moving, the two technologies typically used are IR and Ultrasound.

For a simple IR sensor, you need an IR fresnel lens of some kind, and an IR receiver circuit. As warm objects move around in front of the lens, that moves multiple images of the object over the IR sensor, and that change in output voltage from the IR sensor is interpreted as motion. To build your own IR-to-voltage converter circuit, you would connect a PIN potodiode (with a good IR spectral response and an IR-specific window) to an opamp in a current-to-voltage configuration. The anode of the diode goes to ground or a negative rail, and the cathode goes to the - input of the amp. The + input of the amp goes to a reference, and the output of the opamp is connected to the - input via a resistor. The IR input to the diode causes a reverse current through the PIN photodiode, which gets converted to an output voltage via the feedback resistor. See figure 14.5 in Horowitz and Hill if you have that electronics book, for example.

For the Ultrasound version, you would probably use Doppler changes in return pings, I would guess, for the simplest versions. Those would miss straight side-to-side motion, though, so a better version would do some processing on the return pings to look for any multipath changes in the return echo waveform. Look for an electronics kit that has an Ultrasonic transducer on it to start your experimenting.

Here's a link to HowStuffWorks.com & IR sensor info to get you started:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question238.htm

Thanks. I'll look into that link right away. It seems that I will go with the IR version.

1. What materials do I need to build a simple motion sensor?

To build a simple motion sensor, you will need a breadboard, a PIR (Passive Infrared) sensor, jumper wires, a LED, a resistor, and a power source (such as a battery or power supply).

2. How does a motion sensor work?

A motion sensor uses infrared radiation to detect movement. The PIR sensor has two parts - a sensor that detects the infrared radiation and a lens that focuses the radiation onto the sensor. When an object, such as a human body, moves in front of the sensor, it emits infrared radiation that is detected by the sensor. This triggers the sensor to send a signal to the LED, causing it to light up.

3. Can I modify the sensitivity of the motion sensor?

Yes, you can adjust the sensitivity of the motion sensor by changing the potentiometer on the PIR sensor. Turning it clockwise will increase the sensitivity, while turning it counterclockwise will decrease it.

4. Can I use this motion sensor for other projects?

Yes, this motion sensor can be used for a variety of projects, such as home automation, security systems, and interactive displays. You can also combine it with other sensors to create more complex projects.

5. Do I need any programming knowledge to build a simple motion sensor?

No, you do not need any programming knowledge to build a simple motion sensor. This tutorial provides step-by-step instructions and schematics for building the sensor without any coding. However, if you want to incorporate the sensor into a larger project, you may need some programming skills.