Motion Solution for MA Sculpture Student

• Thread starter Dylan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, An MA sculpture student is looking to add motion to a 7x7x60 cm solid wooden curve made of pine and wood glue. They would like to display it on the studio floor and are considering using a small motor to power an egg-shaped disc to rotate and create a rocking motion. They are seeking advice on the components needed for this circuit and are unable to communicate their concept effectively in French. Other potential solutions include using friction to rotate the structure or using a linear actuator to create a chaotic and unpredictable motion.
Dylan
I am an MA sculpture student. i want to put motion into a piece i am working on. It involves a 7x7x60 cm solid wooden curve that's made of pine and wood glue in a ply-like style. Its curve means that either ends are aprox 40cm from the ground. I would idealy like to display the piece on the studio floor.
I want to cause a rocking motion in it, but make it so the locomotive is unseen, inside the curved beam, perhaps in a dug out hollow. Therefor it needs to be battery powered.
My tutor has surgested to me to use a small motor to power an egg shapped disc to rotate, tipping the beam into a rocking motion every time the tip of the egg shape touches the ground.
Is this a good solution, and what components would i need to create such a circuit?
Any help on the subject would be hugely appriciated, I'm currently studying in Paris and don't speak french well enough to relay my concept to anyone helpfull.

I just added photos of the piece so for, hope this helps.

Attachments

• SANY0016.jpg
    SANY0016.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 430
  • SANY0015.jpg
    SANY0015.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 422
  • SANY0022.jpg
    SANY0022.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It would help if you could post a sketch of what the sculpture looks like and how it is displayed. For example is it on the ground, on a table or a stand, suspended from the ceiling, etc...

One problem with your idea is that there may be friction between the disk and whatever it is pushing against as it tries to rotate. You could fix that by making the disk push against another disk or a roller that was part of the stand for the structure.

The disk idea could also work without touching anything, by moving the centre of gravity if the structure was balanced like a see-saw.

You would need a battery, a motor, probably a large ratio gear like a worm gear to slow down the motion, and an on/off switch.

How much motion you could get depends on the size and shape of the thing and how it is supported, so without a drawing it's hard to make any more comments.

EDIT: In case it's not obvious to new readers of ths thread, I posted this before seeing the pictures.

Last edited:
I would suggest placing the battery and motor in one arm of the thing, connected by a drum cam or other reversing linkage to an equal weight in the other arm. Moving the weight farther in or out on the linkage will alter the centre of gravity and cause a rocking movement.

Another idea would be to use a linear actuator (e.g. a solenoid) inside the object, to move a weight suddenly between two positions. That would give you a rocking motion which would die away slowly after each move. If the electrical circuit flipped the weight back and forth at a suitable frequency, the motion could be quite complex and unpredictable - in fact, chaotic, in the mathematical sense of the word.

What is a motion solution for a MA sculpture student?

A motion solution for a MA sculpture student involves finding ways to incorporate movement into their artistic creations. This could include using mechanical or electronic components, such as motors or sensors, to create kinetic sculptures or installations.

Why is motion important in sculpture?

Motion adds a dynamic element to sculpture, making it more engaging and interactive for viewers. It can also add another layer of meaning and convey emotion or narrative in the artwork.

What are some examples of motion solutions in sculpture?

Examples of motion solutions in sculpture include motorized rotating or spinning elements, mechanical joints that allow for movement, and interactive installations that respond to viewer interaction through sensors or programmed movements.

What technical skills are required for creating a motion solution in sculpture?

Creating a motion solution in sculpture may require skills in electronics, programming, and mechanical engineering. It also requires a good understanding of how to integrate these components into the sculpture while maintaining its aesthetic and structural integrity.

How can a motion solution enhance the overall message of a sculpture?

A motion solution can enhance the overall message of a sculpture by adding a layer of symbolism or storytelling. It can also create a sense of movement and life within the artwork, making it more impactful and memorable for viewers.

Back