1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion/Time Question

1. Sep 12, 2011 #1
    A hotel elevator ascends 230 m with a maximum speed of 5.8 m/s. Its acceleration and deceleration both have a magnitude of 1.0 m/s2.

(a) How far does the elevator move while accelerating to full speed from rest?
    I got this part:

x = v/2a = 5.8/2(1) = 5.82/2 = 16.82 m

(b) How long does it take to make the complete trip from bottom to top?

I broke the problem up into three sections: the elevator going up (1.0 m/s2), the elevator at rest (0), and the elevator coming back down (-1.0 m/s 2). I know that the elevator goes 230 m up and then 230 m down, but I cannot figure out which kinematic equation to use or if I need to use calculus (I have limited calculus knowledge).
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2011 #2

Gold Member

Think about how an elevator operates as it goes up: it accelerates, travels at constant speed for a while, then decelerates. Same 3 phases on the down trip. Don't worry about the elevator at rest part--assume it goes up, stops for less than an instant, then goes back down.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?