1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motion, with Two Objects.

1. Feb 18, 2008 #1
    I tried for a really long time to try to answer this question, but I keep getting weird answers... could someone try and help me out? I know we're supposed to use the substitution method but I don't quite get how...

Vectorville and Scalartown are 20.0 km apart.
    A cyclist leaves Vectorville and heads for Scalartown at 20.0 km/h.
    A second cyclist leaves Scalartown for Vectorville at exactly the same time at a speed of 15.0 km/h.

a) Where will the two cyclists meet between the two towns?
    b) How much time passes before they meet (in minutes)?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2008 #2
    I'm not really sure what you mean by the substitution method, if you were to explain what you mean by that maybe I could give you a pointer as to how to calculate the answer that way.

However, the way I would do it would be to realise that the two bikes could be treated as one bike travelling at 35 Km/h for a distance of 20 Km. Using good old speed = distance / time would give you the answer to part b, then you could use that to calculate the answer to part a.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?