Motional EMF in Transportation

In summary, airplanes and trains moving through the Earth's magnetic field can experience induced potential differences. Using typical values, a French TGV train and Japanese "bullet train" traveling at 180mph perpendicular to the Earth's magnetic field can induce a potential difference of approximately 402.336 mV across its tracks, while a Boeing 747-400 aircraft with a wingspan of 64.4m and cruising speed of 565mph can potentially induce a maximum potential difference of 4.032 mV between its opposite wingtips. This can be calculated using the equation EMF = vBL, where v is the speed, B is the magnetic field strength, and L is the distance traveled perpendicular to the magnetic field.
NeonJay

Homework Statement

Airplanes and trains move through the Earth's magnetic field at rather high speeds, so it is reasonable to wonder whether this field can have a substantial effect on them. We shall use a typical value of 0.50 G for the Earth's field.

A) The French TGV train and Japanese "bullet train" reach speeds of up to 180mph with wheels moving on tracks about 1.5m apart. At top speed moving perpendicular to the earth’s magnetic field, what potential difference is induced across the tracks as the wheels roll?

B) The Boeing 747-400 series of aircraft has a wingspan of 64.4m and a cruising speed of 565mph . If there is no wind blowing (so that this is also their speed relative to the ground),what is the maximum potential difference that could be induced between the opposite tips of the wings?

(Both answers expected in mV)

Homework Equations

EMF = vBL (I think?)
180mph = 80.4672 m/s
0.5G = 0.00005 T

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using vBL, but to no avail. I have v and B, as they are given. The problem seems to be finding an L that works. At first I used 1.5m, the distance between the rails, but I realized that's wrong because it's not perpendicular to B. I've tried the distance the train travels in 1 second, 80.4672 m, but that does not work either.

Is there some other equation that I'm not seeing?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 G = 10-5 T
so
0.5 G = 0.000005 T
You need an extra 0
It should work with 1.5 m. What do you get?

1. What is Motional EMF in Transportation?

Motional EMF (electromotive force) in transportation refers to the creation of an electric potential difference due to the movement of a conductor through a magnetic field, such as in trains or electric vehicles.

2. How does Motional EMF work?

When a conductor, such as a train or a wire, moves through a magnetic field, it experiences a force that causes electrons to move within the conductor. This movement of electrons creates an electric potential difference, or voltage, which can be harnessed to power devices or systems.

3. What are the applications of Motional EMF in Transportation?

Motional EMF is commonly used in transportation systems to power electric vehicles and trains. It is also used in regenerative braking systems, where the kinetic energy of a moving vehicle is converted into electrical energy and stored for later use.

4. What are the advantages of using Motional EMF in Transportation?

One of the main advantages of Motional EMF in transportation is its potential for clean and renewable energy. By utilizing the movement of vehicles, we can generate electricity without relying on non-renewable resources. Additionally, it allows for efficient energy usage and reduces emissions.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using Motional EMF in Transportation?

One potential drawback is the initial cost of implementing Motional EMF systems in transportation, as it may require significant infrastructure and technology upgrades. There may also be concerns about the reliability and safety of these systems, which need to be thoroughly tested and regulated before widespread adoption.