Solving a Physics Problem Involving a Square & Magnetic Field

In summary, the problem for physics homework involves calculating the power needed to move a square outside of a magnetic field. The corner of the square is taken as t=0 and the induced EMF in the square will cause a clockwise current flow. The equations and attempt at a solution are uncertain and it is unclear what is producing the opposing forces on the square. The power needed to move the loop outside the B-field is estimated to be 2IBtv^2 before tv=L/sqrt(2) and 2IBv(sqrt(2)L - tv) after. The current in the wire may change as the square is pushed and further information is needed to determine the current in terms of other variables.
Frillth

Homework Statement

I have the following problem for physics homework:

mkakra.png

We are supposed to take t=0 as the instant when the corner of the square is just about to leave the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

Unsure.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the magnetic flux will decrease as the square leaves the field, the induced magnetic field because of the induced EMF in the square will also point downward. This tells us that the current will flow clockwise.

That's all I've got so far, and I don't even know if it's right. What is producing the forces here that would oppose our push on the square?

Edit: OK, I think that before tv=L/sqrt(2), power is 2IBtv^2. After tv = L/sqrt(2), power is 2IBv(sqrt(2)L - tv). Is it true that the current in the wire will change as the square gets pushed? If so, what do I do to figure out what current is in terms of the other variables?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
How much power is needed to move the loop outside the B-field?

It is great that you are thinking about the problem and trying to come up with a solution. However, there are a few things that need to be clarified before we can provide a complete response.

Firstly, it would be helpful to know what the problem is asking for specifically. Is it asking for the current in the wire, the induced EMF, or the forces acting on the square? This will help us determine which equations and concepts are relevant to the problem.

Secondly, it is important to have a clear understanding of the setup of the problem. Is the square moving through a uniform magnetic field or is the magnetic field changing as the square moves? This will affect the equations that we use to solve the problem.

Lastly, it would be helpful to have a diagram or a clearer description of the problem. This will help us visualize the situation and provide a more accurate response.

In general, when solving physics problems, it is important to clearly define the variables, understand the setup of the problem, and use appropriate equations and concepts to arrive at a solution. It is also helpful to double check your work and make sure it makes sense logically.

Without more information, it is difficult to provide a specific response to this problem. However, as a scientist, I encourage you to continue exploring and experimenting with different approaches to solve the problem. Don't be afraid to ask for help or clarification from your teacher or classmates if needed. Good luck!

1. How do you calculate the magnetic field of a square?

To calculate the magnetic field of a square, you need to know the magnitude of the current flowing through the square and the distance from the square to the point where you want to calculate the magnetic field. You can use the equation B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field, μ0 is the permeability constant, I is the current, and r is the distance.

2. How does the orientation of the square affect the magnetic field?

The orientation of the square does not affect the magnitude of the magnetic field. However, the direction of the magnetic field lines will be perpendicular to the plane of the square, regardless of its orientation.

3. Can the magnetic field of a square be negative?

No, the magnetic field cannot be negative. It is a vector quantity and can only have positive or negative direction, not magnitude.

4. How does increasing the current affect the magnetic field of a square?

Increasing the current flowing through the square will increase the magnitude of the magnetic field. This is because the magnetic field is directly proportional to the current, as shown in the equation B = μ0I/2πr.

5. What is the relationship between the distance from the square and the magnetic field?

The magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance from the square. This means that as the distance increases, the magnetic field decreases. This relationship is described by the equation B = μ0I/2πr.