1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motional EMF

1. Apr 21, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about lack of template
    consider the graph below, the bar of length ζ moving to the right with speed v in a uniform magnetic field B going out the page.
    2ed001a8-0915-4e5d-a0c0-cbb8fc0d8ca8.gif

i don't understand why does the textbook say that there is a change in the magnetic fluxΦ? i think the area doesn't change, although it's moving. the original saying is that: During a time interval dt, the area of the loop increases by a differential rectangular strip of area dA=ldt this change in area causes a differential change in flux given by dΦ=B⋅dA .............

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Only the blue bar is moving. The resistor is at rest. A is the area between the resistor and the bar.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  4. Apr 22, 2015 #3
    right, so..... what does that mean?

5. Apr 22, 2015 #4
    is it true that the moving object in motional emf has to be a conductor?

6. Apr 22, 2015 #5
    and the emf created is from the seperation of charges, therefore creating a potiential difference?

7. Apr 22, 2015 #6
    i feel sorry to ask those stupid questions. i don't have a teacher currently teaching me AP Physics.

8. Apr 22, 2015 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As shown in the figure below, as the rod travels to the right the shaded area A increases. So, the amount of magnetic flux through the circuit also increases.

Attached Files:

9. Apr 22, 2015 #8
    interesting!!! let me think hard about it, and thank you for your help:smile:

10. Apr 22, 2015 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can also look at his from a different perspective. Starting with the Lorentz force F = qv x B you can determine that the emf across the moving bar is Blv. This view is "flux cutting" of a B field (uniform or not) by a bar of length l moving with veloc ity v.

In some cases, using Faraday's law, as you did with emf = -dφ/dt, in moving media does not work. So the "Blv" law is preferred whenever media (like your bar) is moving.
    Yes, but not a perfect conductor. In fact, anything other than a perfect insulator.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  11. Apr 22, 2015 #10
    right, i found out that there are many ways to analyse motional emf, for example, relativity, parallel capacitor, potential difference or magnetic flux, etc

12. Apr 22, 2015 #11
    but the results is the same,this Blv expression occured in a lot of the results, am i right?

13. Apr 22, 2015 #12

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right.
    Truth to tell, I'm not sure what to make of your comment. Bit of a jumble, seems like.
    I restricted my comment to the generation and determination of emf by magnetic means.

14. Apr 27, 2015 #13
    thanks for the reply, i found it hard to understand the magnetic field and therefore don't like to use magnetic means, too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted