Finding R in terms of h for a ball dropped at v with 2D motion?

• Thread starter -EquinoX-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dimensions
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find R in terms of h, given the initial velocity and height of a dropped ball. The suggested equation is R = (v*2sin(theta))/g, but it is unclear if it applies to this specific case. The hint given is to use Newton's second law, and the desired equation should be based on two-dimensional rules and formulas.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

here's a picture of what the case is :

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/6425/imagevn8.png"

if I drop a ball with the initial velocity is v at h. How do I find R here in terms of h?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Forums rules state you have to atleast attempt the problem. I'll give you a hint though, you only need Newtons second law to solve this problem.

well, I found a rule in the textbook where R = (v*2sin(theta))/g, but I wasn't really sure if this works as it's for projectile cases and it doesn't show anything about h. I need to find the equation using the two dimensional rules formulas.

What is motion in 2 dimensions?

Motion in 2 dimensions refers to the movement of an object in a two-dimensional space, typically represented on a coordinate plane with both x and y axes.

How is motion in 2 dimensions different from motion in 1 dimension?

Motion in 2 dimensions involves movement in two different directions, while motion in 1 dimension only involves movement in a single direction.

What are some examples of motion in 2 dimensions?

Examples of motion in 2 dimensions include throwing a ball, flying an airplane, and driving a car on a curved road.

How is velocity calculated in 2 dimensions?

In 2 dimensions, velocity is calculated as the rate of change of an object's position in both the x and y directions. This can be represented by a vector with both magnitude and direction.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in 2 dimensions where an object is launched into the air at an angle and moves in a curved path due to the influence of gravity.