1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motions on 2 dimensions

1. Sep 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A playground is on the flat roof of a city school, 6.00m above the street below. The vertical wall of the building is 7.00 m high forming a 1m high railing around the playground. A ball has fallen to the street below and a passerby returns it by launching it at an angle of 53 degrees above the horizontal at a point 24 m from the base of the bulding wall. The ball takes 2.20 to reach a point vertically above the wall.

Find the vertical distance by which the ball clears the wall.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I can get the initial velocity first by plugging in the formula:

24 = Vi*cos(53)*(2.2) then

finding for Vi I get 18.1. Now how do I find the height the ball clears the wall?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need an equation that has the distance the acceleration and the initial and final velocities in the y direction. You know at the max height the velocity in the y direction will be zero. You know the initial velocity and the acceleration and thus you can work out the height.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?