Motor Accel Calcs: ETAP & Hand Calculations - Technologist in Training

• Thread starter Suerbatica
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary: Motor Corporation is proposing to build a 1100 hp electric motor on a limited capacity transmission line. The motor will be started under load, which will result in a transient voltage drop across the transmission line. This voltage drop will cause the power delivered to the motor to be reduced, resulting in a reduction in power output. The authors propose a method to determine the voltage drop across the transmission line. This method involves solving a differential equation.
Suerbatica
Hi everyone, I'm a Technologist in Training, except that I'm not getting much training. I have a tonne of questions regarding Motor Accel Simulation in ETAP. I'm hoping someone here might be kind enough to lend some insight, or point me to a place where I can find some.

First off, has anyone done this in ETAP? I've got some setup questions that I'd like to post, but will spare for now until I know there is someone who can help.
Second, can anyone tell me how this is done outside of ETAP (or other sim software)? I know how to find LRT, LRA, etc But how does this relate to startup and Voltage Flicker Regulation? (I do not know at this time if the 1100hp motor is being started under load or not). Essentially, how is this done by hand so I can validate my simulation?

I have to do a simulated startup and confirm that we need a SS instead of doing DOL, because the DOL lowers our voltage below Fortis' 5% minimum standard.

Cheers if anyone can lend a hand. Thanks Gents,

Suer

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. What do the acronyms ETAP, LRT and LRA stand for? Can you give a pointer to a web page describing the simulations that you are asking about?

Sorry for my late reply, I've been busy at work setting up this simulation. And I also made a quick reply earlier this week, but it was deleted by a moderator. I said or did something that violated the posting rules.
ETAP - is the software package I am using to run the simulation, I cannot provide any links to this software package' website as it will violate the terms of posting.
LRT - Locked Rotor Torque
LRA - Locked Rotor Amps

%Voltage drop is a differential equation and a very simple one, but what I'm having trouble figuring out is how do I determine the voltage drop of the motor when I have a Soft Starter, and when I don't? I'm assuming that since there is a controlled application of voltage to the motor, there is a controlled application of power. If it is gradually increased, the emerging magnetic field does not demand such a high in-rush current during start-up. What my problem is, is, how do I determine this by hand to verify my computer simulation in ETAP? I'm not sure how to determine voltage drop of a motor when using Soft Starting, or DOL (Direct Over Line, No Soft Start) starting. The difference between the two on the same motor will give me my %Vreg.

Again any help you can provide is appreciated.

Suer

Well my simulation is showing 10.1% Voltage Drop.

If anyone can provide any assistance please let me know.

Suer

For anyone interested:

Vm = Zm / (Zm + Zl)
Where:
Vm= Voltage during start-up
Zm= Locked Rotor Impedance
Zl= Impedance sum of source, line, xformer impedance
*All values I used were per unit rectangular.

As taken from the "Large Motors On Limited Capacity Transmission Lines" article by H.W. Lewis, Member IEEE, Williams Brothers Engineering Company and F.A. Woodbury, Member IEEE, Westinghouse Electric Corporation. Conference Record 77CH1229-4-LA, Paper Number PCI-77-41 Dated February 12, 1985.

Suerbatica

1. What is ETAP?

ETAP stands for Electrical Transient Analyzer Program. It is a software used for electrical power system analysis and design. It is commonly used in the industry to calculate motor acceleration and other electrical parameters.

2. What are the benefits of using ETAP for motor acceleration calculations?

ETAP is a comprehensive and powerful tool that allows for accurate and efficient motor acceleration calculations. It takes into account various factors such as load, voltage, and motor parameters to provide reliable results. It also has a user-friendly interface and can handle complex motor systems.

3. How does ETAP compare to hand calculations for motor acceleration?

ETAP is a computer-based tool that uses advanced algorithms to perform motor acceleration calculations. Hand calculations, on the other hand, are done manually using mathematical equations. While hand calculations can be useful for simple systems, ETAP is more accurate and efficient for complex motor systems.

4. What is the role of a Technologist in Training in motor acceleration calculations?

A Technologist in Training is a person who is undergoing training in the field of technology, such as electrical engineering. They play a vital role in motor acceleration calculations by assisting in the collection and analysis of data, and helping to interpret the results obtained from software like ETAP.

5. Can motor acceleration calculations be used for all types of motors?

Yes, motor acceleration calculations can be used for various types of motors, including AC and DC motors. However, the calculations may differ depending on the type of motor, its parameters, and the specific requirements of the system. It is essential to use the appropriate methods and software for accurate results.