1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor and driver net force

1. Feb 15, 2015 #1
    A motor and driver have a total mass of 300 kg . The driver starts moving from rest reaching an acceleration of 5 m / s2. The net force experienced by the motor of the motorcycle is

I'm not sure if i did this right cause they give 60 newtons as one of the answers.

I applied newton's second law and got 1500 newtons. But the ''net force experienced by the motor of the motorcycle'' keeps throwing me off.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Is this the full problem statement? In particular, is there a motor mass given or something else? If not, the answer looks strange.

4. Feb 15, 2015 #3
    I think I translated it wrong. These are in Spanish sorry.

''A driver and his motorcycle have a total mass of 300 kg . The driver starts moving from rest reaching an acceleration of 5 m / s2. The net force experienced by the motor of the motorcycle is? ''

A.1500 N
    B. -1500 N
    c -60 N
    D. 60 N

5. Feb 15, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Then 60 does not make sense.
    It is a typical wrong answer in a multiple choice question, as you can get this number if you combine the two given numbers in the wrong way (300/5), but it is certainly not the right answer.
    Maybe some mistake in the solution keys.

6. Feb 15, 2015 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I vote for your answer. What's wrong picking "A"?

7. Feb 15, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Action: To maintain this acceleration, the propelling force delivered to the bike + rider is 1500N. Reaction: The driving tyre sees this load component as -1500N.

Perhaps that is the intended answer (B)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted