Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor and planetary gears

1. Jul 29, 2012 #1
    lets say i have an electric dc motor and i connected its shaft to a planetary gear system. this planetary gear systems last stage's ring (outer rim) spins a drum. this drum feels an outer torque T as a consequence of loads. my question is motor will feel torque T, becuase i read that the planetary gears increase transmitted torque (the engine will "feel" less torque) as result of decreasing rotation speed

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2012 #2
    What engine are you referring to?

4. Jul 30, 2012 #3
    a simple dc engine that supplies torque using a shaft .it has no built in gearbox.

5. Jul 30, 2012 #4
    I thi

6. Jul 30, 2012 #5
    I think your motor will indeed "Feel" this torque T from load. It will be divide by the diameter of the drum, then divided by the gear ratio to get the final torque on the motor.

I do believe that if the motor and gearing are appropriate this drum load torque will be "seen" by the motor as work to do, nothing special. For example, if this were a car, it would be similar to drag or going up a hill.

drum+torque.jpg

7. Jul 31, 2012 #6
    Motor and load will not see the same torque. They will be different by a factor equal to the gear ratio. If you are trying to balance the sum of the moments in a free body diagram, then don't forget that the difference on torque is taken out by the gear box case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook