Calculating Average Power in Motorcycle Engine at 4000 RPM

In summary, when calculating the average power involved in the adiabatic expansion of a diatomic gas in a motorcycle engine, it is important to use the Ideal Gas Law to find the final pressure. The equation W=\frac{P_{f}V_{f}-P_{i}V_{i}}{\gamma-1} can then be used to calculate the average power. To incorporate the data of 4000 rpm, the time for one cycle must be calculated and then multiplied by the average power to find the total power output.
shaiqbashir
In a motor cycle engine, after combustion occurs in the top of the cylinder, the piston is forced down as the mixture of gaseous products undergo an adiabatic expansion. Find the average power involved in the expansion when the engine is running at 4000 rpm, assuming that the gauge pressure immediately after combustion is 15 atm, the initial volume is 50.0 cubic centimeters, and the volume of the mixture at the bottom of the stroke is 250 cubic centimeters. Assume that the gases are diatomic [tex](\gamma=1.4)[/tex]. In the 4000 times the piston goes up and down, half is the combustion and half is the exhaust.

Now i know one expression here:

[tex]W=\frac{P_{f}V_{f}-P_{i}V_{i}}{\gamma-1}[/tex]

now can i use the following equation for finding the final pressure

[tex]\frac{P_{f}V_{f}}{T_{f}}=\frac{P_{i}V_{i}}{T_{i}}[/tex]

and i found that the final pressure is 3 atm. now when i put it in the above equation for finding "W", i got zero as an answer. What does this mean?
Is it the wrong approach?

Moreover, how can i utilize the data of 4000rpm in solving this question. Please explain me the right scenario!

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
. The correct equation to use here is the Ideal Gas Law: PV = nRT where n is the number of moles of gas and R is the ideal gas constant. Using this equation you can calculate the final pressure based on the initial pressure, initial temperature, volume of the mixture at the bottom of the stroke, and the molar mass of the diatomic gas. Once you have the final pressure, you can use the equation you provided W=\frac{P_{f}V_{f}-P_{i}V_{i}}{\gamma-1} to calculate the average power involved in the expansion. To utilize the data of 4000 rpm, you must first calculate the time for one cycle using the formula t=60/rpm. For 4000rpm, this is 0.015 seconds. This is the time it takes for the piston to go up and down once. The power is then calculated by multiplying the average power by the number of cycles per second. In this case, it would be 4000*W, where W is the average power as calculated from the equation above.

for your help

To calculate the average power involved in the expansion of the motorcycle engine at 4000 rpm, we need to use the following equation:

P = \frac{W}{t}

where P is the power, W is the work done, and t is the time.

To find the work done, we can use the expression:

W = \frac{P_fV_f - P_iV_i}{\gamma - 1}

where P_f and P_i are the final and initial pressures, V_f and V_i are the final and initial volumes, and \gamma is the ratio of specific heats (1.4 for diatomic gases).

Using the given values: P_i = 15 atm, V_i = 50.0 cc, V_f = 250 cc, and \gamma = 1.4, we can calculate the work done as:

W = \frac{(3 atm)(250 cc) - (15 atm)(50.0 cc)}{1.4 - 1} = 535.7 J

Now, to find the time t, we need to convert the engine speed (4000 rpm) to revolutions per second (rps):

t = \frac{1}{4000/60} = 0.015 s

Finally, we can calculate the average power as:

P = \frac{535.7 J}{0.015 s} = 35713.3 W or 35.7 kW

Therefore, the average power involved in the expansion of the motorcycle engine at 4000 rpm is 35.7 kW. This means that the engine is capable of producing this amount of power every second.

As for your approach, it seems like you have used the correct equations, but there may have been a calculation error in finding the final pressure or work done. It is also important to note that the given data does not specify the time period for which the engine is running at 4000 rpm. So, in this calculation, we have assumed that the engine is running at this speed for one second. If the time period is different, the power output would also be different.

Overall, to utilize the data of 4000 rpm, we need to convert it to rps and use it in our calculations to find the time period. I hope this explanation helps.

1. How do you calculate average power in a motorcycle engine at 4000 RPM?

To calculate average power in a motorcycle engine at 4000 RPM, you need to first determine the torque produced by the engine at that specific RPM. Then, you can use the formula P = (2πNT)/60, where P is the power in horsepower, N is the engine speed in RPM, and T is the torque in lb-ft. Plug in the values and you will get the average power in horsepower.

2. What units are used to measure average power in a motorcycle engine?

The most common unit used to measure average power in a motorcycle engine is horsepower (hp). However, some manufacturers may also use kilowatts (kW) as a unit of power.

3. Why is it important to calculate average power in a motorcycle engine at 4000 RPM?

Calculating average power at a specific RPM can provide valuable information about the performance and efficiency of a motorcycle engine. It can also help in determining the ideal gear ratios and powerband for the engine.

4. Can average power be calculated at any engine speed?

Yes, average power can be calculated at any engine speed as long as the torque produced by the engine at that speed is known. However, 4000 RPM is a commonly used benchmark for measuring average power in motorcycles.

5. How does average power in a motorcycle engine affect its speed and acceleration?

The average power of a motorcycle engine can directly affect its speed and acceleration. A higher average power means the engine can produce more torque and thus, can achieve higher speeds and faster acceleration. However, other factors such as weight and aerodynamics also play a role in determining the overall performance of a motorcycle.