80W of Power Cannot Be Converted to Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 532 watt motor that is 85% efficient. The question asks about the power that cannot be converted to energy, and the conversation delves into the calculation and understanding of the efficiency of the motor. It is determined that the input power is 665 watts and the power that cannot be converted into mechanical energy is 133 watts. The conversation also clarifies that the stated efficiency is 85%, not 80%.
thatshowifeel
Is this problem as simple as I think it is?

Homework Statement

A 532 Watt motor is 85% efficient. How much power cannot be converted to energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]85\%[/itex] of [itex]532W\,=\,452.2W[/itex]
[itex]532\,-\,452.2\,=\,80W[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems you have to assume that the 532 watts is the input power, and that the problem is asking for how much input power can't be converted into energy (assuming energy dissapated as heat isn't included as "energy"). If this is true, then the problem is that simple.

rcgldr said:
Seems you have to assume that the 532 watts is the input power, and that the problem is asking for how much input power can't be converted into energy (assuming energy dissapated as heat isn't included as "energy"). If this is true, then the problem is that simple.

Thanks, mate.

The problem should have asked how much power can't be converted into mechanical energy.

I would have assumed the motor was intended to output 532W because that's what normally matters when you are specifying a motor.

Efficiency = output power/Input power = 80%

Therefore

Input power = 532 / 0.8 = 665W

Power that can't be converted into mechanical energy = 665-532 = 133W.

So then the input power minus the output power is power that can't be converted to energy?

CWatters said:
I would have assumed the motor was intended to output 532W because that's what normally matters when you are specifying a motor.

Efficiency = output power/Input power = 80%

Therefore

Input power = 532 / 0.8 = 665W

Power that can't be converted into mechanical energy = 665-532 = 133W.

Just had a moment of understanding. If you had to put 665W of into it, but it only returned 532W, then those Watts can't be turned into energy! Also, just because something is 80% effective does not mean you can just take 80% of the energy and subtract it from the total. Totally get it!

thatshowifeel said:
Just had a moment of understanding. If you had to put 665W of into it, but it only returned 532W, then those Watts can't be turned into energy!

Yes but that's a slightly bad choice of words. Those 133W still exist as energy because energy is conserved. It's just that they aren't in the form of energy you want from a motor.

You put in 665W of electrical power. The motor delivers 532W in the form of mechanical power (eg torgue * angular velocity) and 133 W comes out in the form of heat.

On the types of motor you are probably familiar with most of the 133W lost as heat is due to the resistance of the copper windings.

Also, just because something is 80% effective does not mean you can just take 80% of the energy and subtract it from the total. Totally get it!

I'm not quite sure about that last line of yours but the important thing to remember is that the equation is normally:

Efficiency in % = 100 * Power out / Power in

where "Power out" only includes the energy that comes out in the wanted form.

I wasn't sure if the original problem statement or the student was supposed to be aware that the normal practice is to rate a motor based on it's power output, not power input, so I went by the OP's initial answer.

Also the stated efficiency is 85%, not 80%, so assuming 532 watts is the rated motor output, the input power would be 626 watts.

The other issue is the awkwardly worded question "how much power cannot be converted into energy", as opposed to how much is the loss in power input versus mechanical power output.

Last edited:
85% of the power is being converted to mechanical energy.
The other 15% is going to become heat.
I think it's a tricky question; all of the input power will be converted to energy, but 15%
will be wasted as heat. Definition of efficiency of the motor.

rcgldr said:
Also the stated efficiency is 85%, not 80%, so assuming 532 watts is the rated motor output, the input power would be 626 watts.

Well spotted. My bad.

Ah. I missed that too. Thanks.

1. How can 80W of power not be converted into energy?

Power and energy are two different concepts in physics. Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or used, while energy is the ability to do work. Therefore, 80W of power cannot be converted into energy because it is already a measure of energy being used per unit time.

2. Can 80W of power be converted into another form of energy?

Yes, 80W of power can be converted into other forms of energy, such as thermal, mechanical, electrical, or chemical energy. This conversion process is known as energy transformation or energy conversion.

3. Why is it important to understand the difference between power and energy?

Understanding the difference between power and energy is crucial in various scientific and technological applications. It helps in accurately measuring and quantifying energy usage, designing efficient systems, and understanding the laws of thermodynamics.

4. Is it possible to increase the energy output of 80W of power?

No, the amount of power used remains constant at 80W. However, it is possible to increase the energy output by converting the power into a more useful form, such as increasing the voltage or using a more efficient system.

5. Can 80W of power be converted into energy without any loss?

No, energy conversion processes are never 100% efficient, so some amount of energy is always lost in the form of heat, sound, or other forms of energy. Therefore, it is not possible to convert 80W of power into energy without any loss.