1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor power in Kw

1. May 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok so i need to choose a motor that is capable of moving 15 tonnes (metric) over a distance of 16 m at 0.2 m/s.

So, im guessing i need to first find the force required to move this object which would be F=m*a. Is this right???

Now, what would be the equation to find the power required in Kw?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, f=ma is only the force needed to accelerate it upto 0.2m/s
    The power is mainly to overcome friction.
    You need to know what friction is involved, consider how hard it is to drag a 15tn rock over concrete compared to how much power you need to pull a 15tn boat.

4. May 10, 2009 #3
    Ill give some more background. The calculations i need really don't have to go into too much detail though.

This equation is for a crane trolley of 15 tonnes (metric) which moves along 2 beams. So, it is not a metal on metal contact. It will be a set of wheels or more accurately a rack and pinion set. Are there equations which do not take friction into account as i have been told by my lecturer that friction can be disregard.

5. May 10, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Neglecting friction it takes no power to keep the trolley moving at any speed.
    To get it moving you have to put in energy = 1/2 m V^2, how quickly you do this (ie how long you take to accelerte it ) determines the power (power is energy/time)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook