Motor Raising Mass: Solve Acceleration Homework Problem

• Thread starter lempkema
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Motor
In summary, the mass experiences an acceleration of 0.701 m/s^2 when it is tensioned by 1.19×10^4 N in the cable on the right side of the pulley.
lempkema

Homework Statement

When the motor shown in the figure raises the m = 1050 kg mass, it produces a tension of 1.42×104 N in the cable on the right side of the pulley. The pulley has a moment of inertia of 79.8 kgm2 and a radius of 0.440 m. The cable rides over the pulley without slipping. Determine the acceleration of the mass. (Draw free-body diagrams of the mass and the pulley. Do not assume that the tension in the cable is the same on both sides of the pulley.)

Homework Equations

I=(1/2)M*R^2 (for disks rotating about their center)

a_obj=|a_angular|*R

The Attempt at a Solution

Many people in my class are having problems completing this problem. I really didn't know where to start so I used the pulley's moment of inertia to calculate it's mass, but from there I don't know where to go. The different tensions on either side of the pulley are also really racking my brain. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• motor_pulley.gif
    motor_pulley.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see the figure yet, but I guess that you should use Newton's 2nd law for the mass and the pulley. It looks like this:

[tex] F_{\text{tension}} = ma + I \frac{a}{R}[/tex]

Then just express [tex]a[/tex] in terms of known quantities.

lempkema said:
I really didn't know where to start so I used the pulley's moment of inertia to calculate it's mass, but from there I don't know where to go. The different tensions on either side of the pulley are also really racking my brain.
Analyze the forces acting on (1) the mass, and (2) the pulley. (Just call the unknown tension T.) Apply Newton's 2nd law to each and you'll get two equations which you can then solve together to find the acceleration.

same question.
moment of inertia 72.8 kg·m2
radius 0.788 m
m = 1140 kg
1.19×10^4 N in the cable on the right side of the pulley (T2)
acceleration of m=?
i got it as 0.701m/s^2, but got it wrong can someone check my work.
T1-mg=ma, T1=ma+mg
r(T1-T2)=Ia/r^2, sub T1=ma+mg, T2=11900, m=1140, g=9.81, I=72.8, solve for a

human_eraser said:
T1-mg=ma, T1=ma+mg
This is correct.
r(T1-T2)=Ia/r^2
But this is not. You forgot to cancel the 'r' on the left side.

i actually just copied that down wrong, my bad.
i have..
r(T1-T2)=Ia/r
r(ma+mg-T2)=Ia/r

a=(T2-mg)/(m-(I/r^2))
my answer is 0.701 m/s^2, which is wrong.. can't seem to find where i went wrong.
thanks in advance

human_eraser said:
r(T1-T2)=Ia/r
You have a sign error. Since T2 > T1, your value for 'a' will be negative here (but positive elsewhere). Instead, be consistent about 'a' being positive. (Just swap T1 and T2 in this equation.)

If you have two 'a' values in r(T2-(ma+mg)) = Ia/r, how do you solve for a?

1. What is motor raising mass?

Motor raising mass is a concept in physics that involves using a motor to raise a mass against the force of gravity. It is commonly used in the study of acceleration and can be seen in many real-life applications, such as elevators and cranes.

2. How do you solve acceleration homework problems using motor raising mass?

To solve an acceleration homework problem using motor raising mass, you will need to use the formula F=ma (force = mass x acceleration). First, calculate the force needed to lift the mass using the motor, then use this force in the formula to find the acceleration of the mass.

3. What variables are involved in motor raising mass?

The main variables involved in motor raising mass are force, mass, and acceleration. Force is the amount of energy required to lift the mass, mass is the amount of matter in the object being lifted, and acceleration is the rate at which the mass is moving upward.

4. What is the relationship between motor raising mass and Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Motor raising mass is a practical application of Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. In motor raising mass, the force applied by the motor must be greater than the force of gravity pulling the mass downward in order to lift the mass.

5. How can motor raising mass be used in real-life applications?

Motor raising mass has many real-life applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and construction equipment. It is also used in the study of physics and engineering to understand the concept of acceleration and how it can be applied to different situations.