Selecting a DC Motor for 50kg Project

• Thread starter z_24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motor
In summary: Also, torque vs. speed graphs can be found online. In summary, if you need a motor with a lot of torque at low speeds, you'll need to make sure it has a torque vs. speed graph to see if it can handle the speeds you need.
z_24
Hi all, I need some help on how to select a DC motor for my project.
Basically, I want a 50kg mass to accelerate to ~1.5 m/s in ~2 seconds. So by F=ma, F = 38.1N.
Radius, R, of the wheel I am using is 0.0564m, thus torque required to move the is =FxR = 2.1Nm.
Using a formula I found online. Power = (nxM)/1350, where n=speed(RPM), M=torque(oz.in)
plug in the numbers with correct units. I got ~ 56 watts. So does that mean I need a motor of at least 56 watts?
I don't have any engineering background so not sure if I did these calculations correctly.
Thanks for the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
Any one :(?

Power is one thing you need to look at. Another thing is you need to get a curve from the manufacturer that shows the motor's torque vs. speed. This will tell you if the motor will be able to move the item at the speeds you want it to. The overall power may be correct, but if you need a lot of torque at the low end, you need to make sure that your motor does that.

Well in US units the Horse Power (HP) of a motor is equal to...

HP = (n*T)/5252

where,

n = rotor speed
T = torque

[5252 is a conversion constant and is equal to 33,000/(2*pi) exactly].

To find the power in watts multiply the HP by 746.

This will be how much power the motor uses while operating at rated conditions. However, like Fred pointed out, you'll need a motor curve to see how it will operate at other than rated conditions.

DC motors

DC motors sre for precise torque/speed control or positioning systems...if you really need to select a DC motor, you need to find a catalogue for speed, W and A range you are working with...

1. What is the maximum weight a 50kg project can be with a DC motor?

The maximum weight for a 50kg project with a DC motor will depend on the specific motor and its capabilities. It is important to carefully select a motor with enough torque and power to handle the weight of the project.

2. What type of DC motor is best for a 50kg project?

The type of DC motor that is best for a 50kg project will depend on the specific requirements of the project. Some options to consider include brushed or brushless motors, and different types of gearboxes to increase torque.

3. How do I calculate the required torque for a 50kg project?

To calculate the required torque for a 50kg project, you will need to know the weight of the project, the desired speed, and the distance between the motor and the center of gravity. You can then use the formula: Torque = (Weight x Distance)/Time.

4. What voltage and current should the DC motor have for a 50kg project?

The voltage and current required for a DC motor in a 50kg project will depend on the motor's specifications and the power requirements of the project. It is important to choose a motor with enough voltage and current to provide the necessary power for the project.

5. Can I use a DC motor controller with a 50kg project?

Yes, a DC motor controller can be used with a 50kg project to control the speed and direction of the motor. This can be helpful in fine-tuning the motor's performance and ensuring it is operating at the desired speed and torque for the project.