Motor size calculations needed

In summary, a freshman mechanical engineer needs to calculate the torque and power required to move a 140" long model of an AAV track system. This is done by calculating the friction forces between the sprocket and road wheel, as well as the friction between the track and the ground. To do this, the engineer needs to consult with the manufacturer or supplier for the coefficient of friction information.
turner91
I am a freshman mechanical engineer and I do not believe that I have taken enough physics or statics to accomplish this task in a timely and correct manner. I am an intern at a government contracting company and am building a model of an AAV track system to test different coatings on. I need to know what size motor I will need to run this so I need to know how to do all of the calculations of torque and make sure it can run.
The track is 140" long and will weigh around 750 lbs. It runs on a sprocket that is 24 inches in diameter and is at a 28 degree angle from the single road wheel (also 24 inches in diameter) that will be touching the belt its running on. How would i account for all of the forces ( including a lot of friction from the gravel its running on)? I am guessing that the sprocket and road wheel each weigh around 100 lbs. Sorry if this is laid out poorly. Let me know if I can clarify anything.

Engineering news on Phys.org
To determine the size motor you need, you will need to calculate the torque required to move the system. To do this, you will need to calculate the friction forces between the sprocket and road wheel, as well as the friction between the track and the ground. The first step is to calculate the torque required to overcome the friction force between the sprocket and road wheel. This can be done using the formula: Torque = Friction Force x Moment Arm. The moment arm is the perpendicular distance between the sprocket and road wheel and is equal to 24 inches. To calculate the friction force, you can use the formula: Friction Force = Coefficient of Friction x Normal Force. The normal force is the force that holds the sprocket and road wheel together and is equal to the weight of the sprocket and road wheel combined (200lbs). The coefficient of friction depends on the type of material used in the sprocket and road wheel, so you will need to consult with the manufacturer or supplier for this information.Once you have calculated the torque required to overcome the friction between the sprocket and road wheel, you will need to calculate the additional torque required to move the track system forward. This can be calculated using the formula: Torque = Mass x Acceleration x Radius. The acceleration is rate at which the system will move, which you will need to decide on. The radius is the distance from the center of the sprocket to the center of the road wheel, which is 24 inches. Once you have calculated the total torque required to move the system, you can use this information to select a motor with the appropriate torque and power output.

1. How do I calculate the necessary motor size for my project?

To calculate the necessary motor size, you will need to determine the required torque and speed for your application. Once you have this information, you can use the formula: Power (kW) = Torque (Nm) x Speed (RPM) / 9.55 to calculate the power needed for your motor. From there, you can select a motor with a power rating that meets or exceeds your calculated value.

2. What factors should I consider when calculating motor size?

When calculating motor size, you should consider the load requirements, the required speed and torque, the efficiency of the motor, and any safety factors that may need to be included. It is also important to consider the type of motor (e.g. AC or DC) and its operating environment.

3. Can I use a motor with a higher power rating than what is calculated?

While it may be tempting to use a motor with a higher power rating, it is important to consider the load requirements and select a motor with a power rating that meets or slightly exceeds the calculated value. Using a motor with a significantly higher power rating can result in unnecessary costs and may not be suitable for the application.

4. How do I determine the appropriate motor type for my project?

The type of motor you choose will depend on the specific requirements of your project. Some factors to consider when selecting a motor type include the operating environment, required speed and torque, and any special features or capabilities needed (e.g. variable speed control). It may be helpful to consult with a motor expert to determine the best type for your application.

5. Are there any online resources or software available to assist with motor size calculations?

Yes, there are various online resources and software programs available to assist with motor size calculations. These tools can help simplify the calculation process and provide more accurate results. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and factors involved in motor size calculations to ensure the accuracy and suitability of the results provided by these resources.