What is the Optimal Motor Size for a 10 Diameter Drum Sander?

• Thread starter jmhockey23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Drum Motor
In summary, the person is building a drum sander for carving canoe paddles and is considering the size and weight of the drum in relation to their motor power. They are wondering if they need to upgrade their motor or adjust the drum size for better performance. The expert suggests that the weight of the drum will not affect the motor power during normal operation and a larger drum may provide a more stable belt speed. The person does not have a specific speed goal and plans to test the sander with their current motor. The expert believes the setup should work fine.
jmhockey23
Hello,

Hopefully I'm posting in the right section and someone can help me with this. I'm building a drum sander that will be used primarily for carving canoe paddles. I was originally planning on making it 6" in diameter with 3/4" MDF board circled glued together to create a 18" wide drum. After cutting a circle I decided I wanted a larger drum...10" diameter. Then after cutting the circles I realized that the weight of the drum was adding up quickly and I questioned the strength of my motor. The motor I purchased is a Grizzly 1/3 hp 1725 RPM, 110v/5.3a, TEFC. I have a keyed 3/4" steel shaft that it will spin, what I was hoping was a 10" diameter 18" wide drum of MDF. I'm wondering do I need to upgrade? Or would making the drum smaller say 15" or 13" wide or going back down to 6 or 8" diameter be better. The weight of 12 3/4" of the discs was about 26 lbs or about 2lbs per 3/4" thick 10" diameter MDF board. Any opinion would be appreciated before I keep building.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The drum size and weight affects how fast the motor will get up to speed and the sandpaper speed for a given rpm but is not a concern for motor power requirements during normal operation, in fact a larger drum will give a more stable belt speed as it acts like a flywheel.

What paper speed do you want?

That makes sense. I don't have a set goal for the speed. I just know from my research people who've made similar sanders have used 1725 RPM motors with equal sized motors. My plan was to test that out to see how it works and then adjust pulley size if I wanted a slower speed. So you think it sounds like it would work okay?

1. What is the ideal motor size for a drum sander?

The ideal motor size for a drum sander depends on the size and type of the drum sander. Generally, a motor size between 1-2 horsepower is recommended for smaller, benchtop drum sanders, while larger floor-standing drum sanders may require a motor size of 3-5 horsepower.

2. Can I use a smaller motor for my drum sander?

Using a smaller motor for a drum sander may affect the overall performance and efficiency of the machine. It may not have enough power to effectively sand larger or tougher materials. It is recommended to use the recommended motor size for optimal results.

3. Is a higher horsepower motor always better for a drum sander?

While a higher horsepower motor can provide more power and speed for sanding, it is not always necessary. The size and type of the drum sander will determine the ideal motor size. Using a higher horsepower motor than recommended may lead to overheating and damage to the machine.

4. What type of motor is best for a drum sander?

There are two types of motors commonly used for drum sanders - direct drive and belt drive. Direct drive motors are attached directly to the drum, providing more power and faster sanding speed. Belt drive motors use a belt and pulley system, which may provide more torque for tougher materials. The best type of motor for a drum sander depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user.

5. Can I replace the motor on my drum sander?

In most cases, the motor on a drum sander can be replaced if needed. However, it is important to make sure the replacement motor is compatible with the sander and has the correct horsepower and voltage. It is recommended to consult the manufacturer or a professional for assistance with replacing a motor on a drum sander.