Strange Motor Wiring: 6 Motors, 200HP, 380V 50Hz

In summary, the conversation revolves around 6 motors at work with 380V, 50Hz, and 200 HP. The terminals are labeled 1,2,3,7,8, and 9, and a continuity test showed that 1,2,3 are connected together and 7,8,9 are connected together. It is noted that this is the case for all 6 motors. The possibility of something being wrong with the motors is discussed, as well as the connection of the motors in a delta fashion.
esso
hey guys... i have 6 motors at work, 380V, 50Hz, 200 HP. the terminals are labeled 1,2,3,7,8 and 9.
continuity test showed that 1,2,3 are connected together, and 7,8,9 are connected together. how is that possible ?? am i missing something ?? note that that is the case in all 6 motors.
thx

Engineering news on Phys.org
I am assuming this is a 1250 RPM 3 phase motor?

1485 RPM , 3 phase motor

Wound rotor induction motor is somthing that comes to my mind.

Does it have slip rings and brushes?

How many ohms in continuity test? I would suggest doing resistivity test. Some multimeters show ohms as high as 25 as continious.

My bad, I should have taken 50 x 60 / 2 to get the synchronous RPM. Instead I took 50 x 50 / 2. If this were a high RPM motor (2970) you would only have 3 wires. Since it is a low RPM motor you have an extra set of poles and wires.

around 0.5 ohm between any two connected terminals (1,2,3) or (7,8,9).
Having the extra set of poles and wires doesn't explain why are they connected.
i'm beginning to think that there's something wrong with them (they're made in the eighties after all) , but what's the odds that all 6 of them have the same problem.

So just how do you think they should be connected? I am pretty sure that the sets of 3 are connected in a delta fashion. You would naturally measure a low resistance between them as you have.

What is the purpose of the "Strange Motor Wiring"?

The purpose of the "Strange Motor Wiring" is to provide a power source for machinery or equipment that requires 6 motors, each with a capacity of 200 horsepower, at a voltage of 380 volts and a frequency of 50Hz.

Why are there 6 motors instead of just 1 or 2?

Having multiple motors allows for increased power and torque, which may be necessary for certain industrial or heavy-duty applications. It also provides redundancy in case one motor fails.

What does the voltage and frequency mean in this context?

The voltage of 380 volts refers to the amount of electrical potential energy that each motor receives. The frequency of 50Hz refers to the number of times the electrical current alternates its direction per second. These specifications are important for ensuring the motors operate efficiently and safely.

Why is this type of motor wiring considered "strange"?

The use of 6 motors in this configuration may be unconventional or unusual, as most industrial motors are typically wired in a parallel or series connection with fewer motors. This particular setup may have specific design considerations or requirements.

What are some potential applications for this "Strange Motor Wiring"?

This type of motor wiring may be used in heavy-duty machinery, such as large pumps, compressors, or generators. It could also be used in industrial processes that require high power and torque, such as in mining, construction, or manufacturing industries.