Finding the Right Motor for a Large Cylinder

In summary, to turn a large cylinder with a radius of 1007.54mm and mass of 2 tons, you will need a motor with a minimum torque of .06224 N-m. This is calculated by using the general cylinder inertial equation and the necessary torque to bring the cylinder to a 30 degree angle in 5 minutes.
ncr7
Looking for a motor to turn a large cylinder.

Say if I have a cylinder of radius 1007.54mm and mass of 2 tons, I would have a moment of innertia of 1.027x10^3 kg-m^2

This is from the general cylinder inertial equation,
I = .5*m*r^2

The torque necessary to bring this to 30 deg/ 5 min is
W= [tex]\varpi[/tex]0 rad/sec + .5*[tex]\alpha[/tex]*(5 min/60 sec)^2
W = 30 deg*(3.14 rad/180 deg)*2/(.00694 sec^2)
W = 6.06x10^(-5) rad/sec^2

Torque is then,
T = 1.027x10^3*6.06x10^-5 rad/sec^2
T = .06224 N-m

Correct?

and if this is so if I had a motor with a minimum torque of .06224 N-m?

I think this is correct but thought I'd have someone run over calculations and see if I am looking for a motor the right way. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your calculations and conclusions are correct. You will need a motor with a minimum torque of .06224 N-m to turn the large cylinder.

1. How do I determine the appropriate size of motor for a large cylinder?

The size of the motor needed for a large cylinder depends on several factors, including the weight and size of the cylinder, the force needed to move it, and the desired speed of movement. It is important to carefully calculate these factors and consult with a professional before selecting a motor.

2. What type of motor is best for a large cylinder?

The type of motor best suited for a large cylinder will depend on the specific application. Some common types of motors used for large cylinders include hydraulic, pneumatic, and electric motors. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to consider the specific needs of the project when selecting a motor.

3. How do I ensure the motor is powerful enough to move the large cylinder?

To ensure the motor is powerful enough to move the large cylinder, it is important to carefully calculate the required force needed to move the cylinder and compare it to the maximum force output of the motor. It is also important to consider any potential external factors, such as friction or resistance, that may affect the motor's performance.

4. Can I use a smaller motor for a large cylinder to save costs?

It is not recommended to use a smaller motor for a large cylinder in order to save costs. A motor that is too small may not be able to effectively move the cylinder, leading to decreased performance and potential damage to the motor. It is important to choose a motor that is properly sized for the cylinder and the specific application.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a motor for a large cylinder?

Maintenance and troubleshooting for a motor used with a large cylinder will depend on the specific type of motor being used. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for proper maintenance and troubleshooting procedures. Regular maintenance and prompt troubleshooting of any issues can help ensure the motor continues to function properly and extend its lifespan.