Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motor Vibration Analysis

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    Hi everyone, this i my first post here. I need some help in doing a general work instruction for motor vibration analysis. Im totally new in this maintenance sector. I could do with some help :)

Basically i need to know which exact points i have to test for vibration and method to be use. Dont need to be too detailed, crucial thing is where and which position. I search the web and they dont really mention much on how to do a simple test.

I thank you guys in advance for the information you provide.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2010 #2

Ranger Mike

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what kind of motor?
    what is application?
  4. Sep 13, 2010 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What sort of motor? What application?

What are you testing for vibration for?
  5. Sep 13, 2010 #4
    It can be any electric motor coupled to a centrifugal pump.

It is mainly a weekly maintenance thing. To check the vibration reading to ensure it is running in good condition.
    If vibration reading exceeds 0~0.10mm/s rectification will be done as a part of preventive maintenance.

Its application is commonly found at petrolchem plant. running at above 70degrees c.

I hope i answer and give enough details for you guys to help me ._.
  6. Sep 14, 2010 #5

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, if you've already got a criteria to indicate maintenance is required, use that.

I'd look at axial vibration on both the motor and pump and the relative phase thereof; this will indicate whether you have an issue with angular misalignment between the two machines. I'd also look at vertical and transverse measurements to indicate any rotating imbalance. You might also want to do some spectral analysis (compare to a baseline regularly) to diagnose any bearing problems.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook