1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Motorcycle physics problem

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    Two motorcycles are traveling due east with different velocities. However, four seconds later, they have the same velocity. During this four-second interval, motorcycle A has an average acceleration of 1.6 m/s2 due east, while motorcycle B has an average acceleration of 3.6 m/s2 due east. By how much did the speeds differ at the beginning of the four-second interval? And which motorcycyle is traveling faster?

I tried subtracting 1.6 from 3.6, but it didn't accept 2 as the correct answer.
    What am I doing wrong?
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2
    Re: Velocity.

For motorcycle A, in 4 seconds, it gained an extra 6.4m/s (4)(1.6)
    For motorcycle B, in 4 seconds, it gained an extra 14.4m/s (4)(3.6)
    Since after the 4 second interval, the 2 motorcycles have the same velocity, I can say that
    v_A + 6.4 = v_B + 14.4
    The difference between the 2 bikes' velocity would be v_A - v_B
    By rearranging the above equation, we get v_A - v_B = 8m/s.
    Since v_A > v_B initially, this must mean v_A is travelling faster.

I think what you did wrong is that when you just did 3.6 - 1.6, it only accounted for a 1-second interval. Over 4 seconds would yield a value of 8, which is what I got.

I believe this is how to do the question. If that is wrong, I apologize for that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?